How to fight food insecurity in West Alabama

Courtesy of Jonathan Norris, University of Alabama
Beat Auburn Beat Hunger partnered with the West Alabama Food Bank to raise over 300,000 pounds of food during the fall 2023 drive.

The West Alabama food bank is in need of volunteers as it continues to fight food insecurity in nine Alabama counties, including Tuscaloosa. 

According to Feeding America, 16% of children in Tuscaloosa County were food insecure in 2021.

One group that helps the food bank accomplish its mission is Beat Auburn Beat Hunger, an organization it created with the UA Center for Service and Leadership.

BABH President Kennedi Preston, a junior majoring in public health and history, said that there is a large need for volunteers in West Alabama.

“It’s very crucial,” Preston said. “I was just speaking with the director of the food bank, and she was discussing just how much the food bank needs assistance from donations and manpower coming in, especially with inflation right now.”

Caleb Buell, a junior chemistry major and volunteer at the West Alabama Food Bank through the Center for Service and Leadership, said that one way students can help fight hunger is to sign up to volunteer on the food bank’s website.

Buell added that students can find the food bank through BamaPulse, a UA platform that allows students to easily find and register for local volunteer opportunities. BamaPulse also allows students to track their service hours.

As a volunteer, Buell helps with initiatives for particularly vulnerable members of the community, like children and older adults. 

Students can also donate to BABH online through BamaPulse and by placing food items in its red donation barrels around UA’s campus and Tuscaloosa.

According to BABH’s website, the most needed items are canned goods, granola bars, peanut butter, pasta and sauce with meat.

Preston said interested students can volunteer Monday-Thursday for morning or afternoon shifts. Students can schedule a time to volunteer via email at [email protected] or by calling the food bank at (205) 333-5353.