Q&A | Colin Marcum is your only option for executive secretary

Colin Marcum, a sophomore majoring in operations management, is running unopposed for the position.

Photo courtesy of SGA. Graphic CW / Leah Goggins

Kayla Solino, Contributing Writer

How did you originally get involved with SGA?

As a freshman, I served as a member of the Lobby Board, where I integrated my previous leadership experience with my passion for lobbying in order to serve The University of Alabama at the highest capacity.

What made you want to run for this position?

I decided to run for this position because I am passionate about this campus and want to provide the best experience for all students at the University. 

What makes you the best choice for this office?

As a former member of the Lobby Board and a current member of senate within SGA, I have had the unique opportunity to witness positive change firsthand. I have seen how this organization can make meaningful improvements when members are given the resources necessary to serve the campus and the community.

What’s your opinion on the election being uncontested?

I believe that each candidate running for office is uniquely qualified for the position which they are seeking. The competitive nature of these senate races foreshadows contested elections in the years to come.

What’s the biggest problem you see on campus?

I have witnessed first hand the loss of unity within the Alabama community this year due to the restrictions of COVID-19. I believe that it is vital for the Student Government Association to create opportunities to instill a sense of community to every aspect of campus life while abiding by university, local and state guidelines. 

What do you hope to accomplish in this position?

Last year, SGA wanted to create a Senate Initiative Tracker that allowed students on campus to see what pieces of legislation and ideas senators were actively working towards completing. I saw this as an amazing opportunity for students throughout the University to keep their senators accountable for their platforms and what they wanted to accomplish during their terms. As a current senator, I have seen wonderful initiatives progress through the organization and create positive change on campus. I think it is important for students to see these initiatives come to fruition and associate these positive changes with students on this campus.

I want communication within and about SGA to be more transparent. To accomplish this, I will work with the director of communications and the press secretary to frequently update the student body on what SGA is implementing. In creating a flow of transparent correspondence, students will understand what SGA does and how students serve students in the highest capacities. First, I will add a form to the SGA website which allows students to sign up for the SGA newsletter with their crimson emails. By generating this form, I can keep students informed as to what is happening within SGA and what initiatives are being actualized.

I would like to expand on Senator Preston McGee’s bill by allowing more opportunities for office hours outside the physical SGA office.

What’s one last thing you want voters to know about you?

I want voters to know and understand that I am here to serve them. As executive secretary, my main priorities are to better this campus and make everyone feel like their voices are being heard. I am both approachable and dedicated to my responsibilities and these qualities make me the best candidate for this position.

This interview was conducted via email.