Quilt exhibit honors American history

The tiny town of Gee’s Bend, Alabama will come to the Ferguson Center today in the form of art the town is famous for—quilts.

Sponsored by the Women’s Resource Center, the School of Library and Information Studies and Gender and Race Studies, the event will honor African-American Heritage Month and host Geraldine Bell, a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama. Bell is bringing her collection of quilts and will talk about the history of the quilters and the town of Gee’s Bend.

Jessica Hitchins, assistant director at the WRC, said that the mission of the WRC is to celebrate and honor the accomplishments of women and bring forth their history for students. She said that acknowledging these female artists garnering a richer understanding of Alabama culture will enhance the experience of the UA community.

“Quilting is not always viewed as an art form,” Hitchins said. “By diversifying people’s understanding of art, the UA community will truly able to appreciate and value Alabama treasures.”

Gee’s Bend is a small rural town located about 30 miles southwest of Selma, Alabama. The women in Gee’s Bend uphold a special tradition — making quilts as their mothers and grandmothers and ancestors before the Civil War did. The geometric simplicity of the quilts has caused them to be recognized as important parts of American history.

Bell received her doctorate degree in 1977, was the former Interim Superintendent of Birmingham City Schools, and is now Professor and Director of the Learning Resources Center at Miles College. She has served as President of the Birmingham Library Board, a Professor of Library Science and a Professor of Education.

Bell grew up in Wilcox County, where Gee’s Bend is located and said she has always been aware of the quilting. Now she has a collection of more than 20 quilts made by Polly Bennett, one of Gee’s Bends most respected quilters. Bell said she feels it is important to preserve the work of the quilters for future generations to enjoy.

“My interest in sharing her work stems from my desire to share her particular talent with the world,” Bell said in a brochure for her private quilt collection. “Although she lacked a formal education, her skills speak volumes mathematically, artistically and aesthetically.”

Bell said she collects the quilts to share with others how intelligent and tenacious the quilters are. Bell told the story of one quilter who used the money she received for her quilts to help pay for granddaughter’s college tuition.

“These women made it in the face of tremendous odds,” Bell said. “The took what they had and learned to make something out of it.”

There will be an open colloquium hosted by Gender and Race Studies at 12:00 p.m. in Ferguson 301. Bell will be speaking in 301 from 3 to 4 p.m.

There will be two other events this month relating to Gee’s Bend. On Feb. 24 the Every Woman Book Club will be discussing the book “Leaving Gee’s Bend,” by Irene Latham. A day trip to Gee’s Bend will take place on Feb. 26, but space is limited. To sign up for the trip, call 348-5040.