Larger student body crowds Gorgas

You don’t have to frequently visit Gorgas Library to have noticed the immense number of visitors that circulate through the building.  On any day of the week, it can be difficult to find a study spot on the first floor and with the dreaded Dead Week here, some students are expressing worries about being able to study at Gorgas at all.

Owen Cooper, a senior majoring in management, has had six previous cram-for-exam weeks to go through.  He said every year when Dead Week rolls around, he certainly isn’t the only student with the idea to study at Gorgas.

“Everyone is crammed in, making up for all the slack during the semester,” he said.

There has been a 50 percent increase in student enrollment in the past seven years, and Gorgas has seen the effect of the bigger student population, according to an e-mail from University of Alabama Libraries. Gorgas has seen a 103.7 percent increase of use between the 2002-03 and 2009-10 school years. Gorgas has been multiplying its seating capacity repeatedly since 2003.

The reference collection was removed from the first floor in 2009, and earlier this year, the Gorgas Library underwent an extreme makeover.  The first floor of the library, now known as the Gorgas Library Learning Commons, transformed from having a seat capacity of 255 to now being able to seat 459 patrons.  This includes nearly 100 new computer workstations, the e-mail stated.

Cooper, however, is doubtful that the increase in seats will be able to accommodate the increase in the student population.

“It should help,” Cooper said.  “But since there are more students it might even out.”

Besides being the largest library on campus and having to accommodate more students, there are other reasons that Gorgas is attracting so many visitors.

The library provides the only multimedia training, computer lab and equipment loan that is not restricted to students enrolled in a specific class or college.  Gorgas has become a hub for informal meetings between teaching assistants, professors and their students.

“The number of people using Gorgas Library is what one would expect in a research library at a university with the high academic standards The University of Alabama has set,” said Louis Pitschmann, dean of libraries.

Some students note that even though the first floor of Gorgas is bustling, other floors seem quiet and neglected.

“Honestly, in my experience, only the first floor is ever busy, and even then my only concern is over the availability of computers,” said Adella Smith, a freshman double majoring in history and English.  “Most other resources are untouched, and relatively easy to get a hold of.”

Alex McQueen, a junior majoring in biology, can often be seen at the library but will only go to the library at the beginning of this week.

“After that, I’ll probably just stay home to study,” McQueen said. “It’s just not worth the hassle of finding a seat and trying to keep it all day.”

Lauren Wolfe, a sophomore majoring in human development, doesn’t normally visit Gorgas, but expects to study there this week.

“I would recommend trying one of the higher floors, where there’s less people,” she said.

Smith said she won’t let crowding at Gorgas keep her from studying for her exams.

“If I can’t find any seats, I’ll probably just go to the engineering library, a computer lab in either ten Hoor or Rowand Johnson, or just go to someone’s dorm building.”

As he is less than hopeful for finding a study spot in Gorgas, Cooper has a backup plan that has seen him through in past years.

“I’m going to try Gorgas, but if it’s packed I’ll go to the business library or the Tuscaloosa Public Library,” Cooper said.  “If it’s too crowded I’ll try somewhere else.  It’s just not worth it.”

Even after the recent makeover to its first floor, Gorgas Library is still looking ahead for possibilities to accommodate its visitors.

“Perhaps the more important question is what should Gorgas Library begin putting in place now to meet the needs of students over the next one to three years,” Pitschmann said.

Gorgas Library will be open 24 hours a day throughout dead week and finals week.