Uniting, engaging, sustaining UA to repair broken, stagnant SGA

My name is Justin Thompson, and I’m a junior from Frankfort, Ky., majoring in public relations here at The University of Alabama.

I knew the moment I opened my acceptance letter in October 2010 (wow, I’m getting old) that I would find a home in Tuscaloosa.

Freshman year, I spent too much time trying to find my place on campus. I was, however, fortunate to meet a group of young men whose values aligned with my own. That spring, we decided to establish our own chapter of Alpha Delta Phi, of which I served as vice president in its first three semesters.

Last fall, I felt called to run for Student Government Association Senate while serving as a Senate assistant myself. Representing the College of Communication and Information Sciences has been an honor, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to serve my peers.

The reality is, however, that my reach in Senate has been systematically limited. Those in charge set an agenda, and a voting bloc is put in motion. No matter how logical, opposition rarely stands a chance. Although disheartening, this led me to begin researching what works at other colleges. Over the last year, I’ve met with SGA representatives from Clemson University, the University of Georgia and the University of Kentucky. While observing what worked for these schools, I saw what was necessary to repair our SGA and knew that the presidency would allow me to effect change.

My ultimate goal as SGA President is to help every single student at the University feel like they are at home.

I happen to be gay, but everyone has their own sort of closet. Students deserve inclusion regardless of race, gender, sexuality, Greek affiliation, home state, socioeconomic status or any other factor. I know what it’s like to be different – to feel unwelcome, to fight your own battle.

Students constantly fight battles, but they don’t have to fight alone. As the leader of this student body, I will do everything in my power to foster a culture in which every student loves this university.

The slogan for my campaign is “UNITE, ENGAGE, SUSTAIN.”

There is a place for every student at the University. I want to UNITE campus and help students find their calling and voice. A lot has been said this year about our current grounds-use policy and its implications for free speech. We call UA grounds home for four years, and we shouldn’t have difficulty reserving access to them. I want to redesign this system in a way that makes the application process equitable and reasonable.

Our campus should ENGAGE in meaningful initiatives. I currently teach chess to second graders as a part of Stephen Black’s Every Move Counts ChessED Project. Through this experience, I’ve learned that children are forever inspired by a brief investment of our time. As SGA President, I plan to implement a program that would require SGA executive officers to partner with Tuscaloosa schools in developing student councils and teaching civic responsibility and leadership.

I want to ensure we SUSTAIN these initiatives. Intergenerational change for our SGA will take more than one year. My most innovative proposal deals with just that: time. I’ve paired with an entrepreneurial student, who, if I’m elected, will launch a “Wait Time” app by the start of next semester. This app would allow students to check wait times at the Student Health Center, Starbucks and the math and testing labs.

SGA is spending your tuition money. Under my direction, SGA will do more than provide bike racks here and there.

This election is not about me. This election is about us, the students, creating a better campus for years to come.

Justin Thompson is a candidate for the position of SGA President.