Women’s tennis team looking to stay undefeated

After snow and horrible weather, the Alabama women’s tennis team will enjoy the indoor tennis facility Saturday when it hosts Georgia State in Tuscaloosa.

“We have one of the nicest indoor facilities in the country,” coach Jenny Mainz said. “It’s been a huge difference, and we’ve been able to prepare properly.”

With six courts and plenty of space, the state-of-the-art facility is used for practice and matches.

“I can’t even imagine playing outdoors in this weather,” sophomore Natalia Mayenetto said.

The No. 12 Crimson Tide is coming off two wins last weekend against William and Mary and Oklahoma. The Oklahoma match came down to the last match.

“It was thrilling. We had 10 courts that went to tiebreakers,” said Mainz. “It doesn’t get more exciting than that.”

The match against Oklahoma might be one of the best of the season. After going down 2-0, Alabama came back and won 4-3. With the match tied at 3-3, Maynetto provided the match clincher.

“It was one of the best feelings ever,” Mayenetto said. “It was such a relief, pure happiness.”

Georgia State is a formidable opponent. Coming off a win in its first match against Troy, the team is ranked No. 75 in the nation. The team is lead by senior Abigail Tere-Apisah, ranked No. 8 in the country.

“They are very strong at the top,” said Mainz “She’s good.”

The last time Alabama played Georgia State was Feb. 13, 2010. Alabama won 5-2. The all-time record against Georgia State is 4-0.

Both teams are trying to stay undefeated and make a statement. Alabama hopes to clinch this win at home before the team heads to Charlottesville, Va., for the ITA National Indoor Championship.

“We need to be tested,” said Mainz “We’ve got a lot to prove.”