Professors emeritus hold title, no extra responsibility

Professors that retire from The University of Alabama can be granted the status of professor emeritus, a distinction awarded by the University’s board of trustees and Provost.

Robert Halli, dean emeritus of the Honors College and professor emeritus of the English department, was given his emeritus status upon his retirement in 2009.

“I learned that I had been named a professor emeritus of English and the founding dean emeritus of the Honors College in a letter from Provost Judy Bonner,” Halli said.

Halli said there are no specific responsibilities as a professor emeritus because the title is awarded after retirement, and some professors choose to stay involved with the University to some degree.

“Because of their status, emeritus professors have no teaching, research or service responsibilities to the University because they are no longer being paid by the University,” Halli said.

Although being a professor emeritus has no responsibilities regarding instruction or research, some professors emeritus are rehired by the University as consultants.

“I have no responsibilities whatsoever as dean or professor emeritus; I do, however, have responsibilities,” Halli said. “The University has a process that retiring faculty and administrators can be hired back as consultants, if that is desired by both the University and the retiree.”

Halli began receiving his full pension following his retirement from the University. After one month of retirement, Halli was hired by the Honors College as a consultant at a salary level set by the state.

“As a consultant, I teach one class, EN 216 Honors English Lit II, in the UA in Oxford Program,” Halli said.

In addition to his class, Halli writes personal letters to all students accepted into the Honors College, sends recruitment postcards from his class in Oxford, and is the UA Faculty Advisor for the Harry Truman Scholarship.

Halli said these responsibilities have nothing to do with the fact that he is a professor emeritus.

According to the UA Faculty Handbook, a professor is given emeritus status to distinguish them from normal professors: “An individual who holds academic rank, either full-time or part-time, and performs a combination of teaching, research, and service functions, normally will have one of the faculty titles. However, there are distinguished faculty titles which can be awarded by the Board of Trustees. These titles include: Professor Emeritus; Research Professor; University Professor; and Endowed Chairs and Professorships.”

Patrick Green, associate professor emeritus, said not all professors given emeritus status continue to teach or work in academia.

“An emeritus professor is simply a professor who has retired to do whatever you do in retirement,” Green said. “Some of us continue to teach from time to time, others don’t, but go their merry way to golf, Europe or various other diversions.”