Try these dorm-friendly recipes

CW / Shelby West

Embarking on the college journey often means saying goodbye to home-cooked meals that will usually be replaced with fast food and dining hall meals. However, living in a dorm doesn’t have to be synonymous with instant ramen or other bland, repetitive meals. Though living on campus might remove many useful tools and ingredients to create tasty meals, here are four recipes that can be made from the comfort of your dorm.

Breakfast burrito

Waking up early to enjoy the dining hall’s breakfast may be hard for some students. This storable breakfast burrito will ensure that you can enjoy a delicious breakfast any day. Using frozen, precooked ingredients not only allows you to reduce the cook time of your dish, but also allows it to be stored longer in your freezer. 

Ingredients

1 large flour tortilla

2 precooked Jimmy Dean frozen sausage patties

2 eggs

½ cup of shredded cheese

½ cup of Ore-Ida frozen diced hash brown potatoes

Instructions

1. Place the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds.
  2. Microwave the potatoes and sausage patties using the instructions on the packages.
  3. Whisk the eggs together in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in a microwave for 60 seconds. For softer eggs, reduce the cook time by 15 seconds.
  4. Once all of the ingredients have been heated, add them in a line along the diameter of the tortilla. Then, fold the two sides opposite the fillings inward. Lastly, roll the tortilla in the direction of the fillings to create a burrito.

Tip: You can prepare burritos in advance and then store them in the freezer for an even quicker breakfast option. Additionally, you can customize the burrito to your liking, adding bacon, chopped vegetables, or seasonings such as garlic powder, salt and chili powder. 

Chicken fried rice

Elevate your dorm room dining experience with this easy chicken fried rice recipe and enjoy a takeout-quality dish without the delivery fees. You can also choose any protein, such as steak, tofu or shrimp.

Ingredients

1 cup of Tyson oven-roasted diced chicken breast

1 ½ cups cooked frozen or instant rice

1 cup of Pictsweet Farms seasoning blend

½ cup of Birds Eye frozen peas

½ cup of Birds Eye frozen diced carrots

1-3 tablespoons of soy sauce

2 eggs

Instructions

1. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the rice according to the instructions on the package. 
  2. Proceed to cook the diced chicken, following the instructions on the package.
  3. Microwave the frozen seasoning blend, peas and diced carrots according to the instructions on the package.
  4. Whisk the eggs together in a bowl, then microwave four to five times in 30-second increments, whisking in between until cooked to create scrambled eggs. 
  5. In a bowl, combine all cooked ingredients, adding in soy sauce and any seasonings of your choice, such as garlic powder, paprika or salt.

Tip: If a community kitchen is available, you can stir-fry the rice by combining all the ingredients after they have thawed in a large skillet over medium heat in 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.

Loaded baked potato

Here’s an easy loaded baked potato recipe that’s perfect for anyone craving hassle-free comfort food. This recipe is highly customizable with a wide variety of topping combinations to your liking.

Ingredients

1 large potato

Shredded cheese of your choosing

Sour cream

Chopped green onions

Bacon pieces

Instructions

1. Clean the potato with cold water and dry.
  2. Using a fork, poke several holes in the potato to allow it to release steam as it cooks.
  3. Microwave on high in a microwave safe dish or wrapped in plastic wrap for five minutes, flip, then cook the other side for five minutes. You can use a fork to test if the inside is soft or not. If the inside is still hard, continue to reheat it in two-minute increments.
  4. Slice the potato down the middle of its long side and top with your desired toppings.

Tip: For dorms with community kitchens, you can prepare the potato in the oven by cooking it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the potato. 

Rice Krispies Treats

These easy-to-make Rice Krispies Treats are the perfect sweet treat. This nostalgic recipe requires only a few ingredients and can be made in a small amount of time, making it the perfect dorm staple.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons of butter

4 cups of marshmallows

6 cups of toasted rice cereal

Instructions

1. Microwave the butter and marshmallows on high, stirring after two minutes.
  2. Add in the cereal, stirring until it’s evenly coated with the mixture.
  3. Use wax paper or a buttered utensil to evenly distribute the mixture into a 2-inch layer in a shallow pan.
  4. Once cooled, cut into squares.

Tips: Marshmallows can be replaced with marshmallow creme. The treats can be stored at room temperature for no more than two days, but they will last frozen in an airtight container for up to six weeks.

Mastering delicious and convenient recipes in your dorm is not only achievable but also highly rewarding. With just a few staple ingredients and easy cooking techniques, you can create many unique dishes. From savory favorites like burritos, chicken fried rice and loaded baked potatoes to sweet treats like Rice Krispies treats, these recipes prove that you don’t need a fancy kitchen to enjoy your homemade favorites.