Griffen, Miller lead the way in men’s basketball’s victory over Spain Select

Courtesy of UA Athletics

Alabama guard Rylan Griffen (3) soars for a dunk in the Crimson Tide’s 108-64 victory over Spain Select on August 8 in Barcelona, Spain.

Mathey Gibson, Staff Reporter

On Monday, Alabama men’s basketball used a balanced attack to win the first game of their 2022 foreign tour, defeating Spain Select 108-64. 

While shooting statistics were inaccurately kept, the Crimson Tide drained 11 threes to Spain’s eight with a starting lineup that consisted of Mark Sears, Rylan Griffen, Brandon Miller, Noah Clowney and Charles Bediako. 

Leading the way for Nate Oats’ squad were the aforementioned Griffen and Miller, who have begun to emerge as freshmen contributors over the summer.  

Griffen, a four-star signee ranked 43rd nationally by 247sports’ composite rankings, scored 19 points and tacked on five assists.  

Miller, who was comically dubbed “David Diaz Herrero” by the NBN23 stat tracking app, also scored 19 points—grabbing six boards enroute to another impressive performance. 

While Miller and Griffen stood out, the Crimson Tide had considerable numbers across the board with five players scoring in double figures— (Clowney: 12, Welch: 11, Burnett: 10). 

The Crimson Tide have two games remaining in Europe, with matchups against the Lithuania Men’s B Team and the Chinese Men’s National Team slated for August 11 and August 12, respectively. 

Both games will take place in Paris, France. The games will not be televised.