Student groups sponsor drives for less fortunate

At the University of Alabama, many student organizations are involved with community service, and more specifically helping local children.

Organizations like the NAACP and Gamma Phi Beta sorority have helped give back to those less fortunate right before the holidays.

Toys for TTown is a partnership between the SGA, Hilton Garden Inn and University Programs and gives back to children and families who lost their homes and belongings in the April 27 tornado.

UA students are able to go to the SGA office or the University Programs office to drop off their toys in support of this mission. Since its beginning, the program has received more than 150 toys and monetary donations.

“There are so many families who had such loss during the April 27 tornado,” said Traci Channell, director of sales at Hilton Garden Inn.

Along with Toys for TTown, the NAACP is sponsoring Toy Ball, an event allowing people to come and donate money and toys to less fortunate children during each Christmas season.

“The NAACP is proud to do this event. Not only are we giving back to the community, but we are giving children an opportunity to have a better Christmas than they expected,” said Fred Horn, treasurer of the organization. “We are also providing two scholarships to high school seniors in the Tuscaloosa community,”

On Sunday, Dec. 4, the NAACP held a banquet for Toy Ball to have people come out and to collect more toys and donations.

The Gamma Phi Beta sorority is also getting involved by sponsoring Stocking Stuffer, a drive similar to Toys for TTown and Toy Ball. The sorority is helping people who lost their homes, clothing and appliances.

Students on campus have the opportunity to give to the community by going to ua.edu and checking for programs to get involved with.

“We want to give students the opportunity to give back hope and happiness to the children of our Tuscaloosa community,” said Kathy Hasselwander, student programming assistant.