Music program puts on holiday concert

As it starts to get cold, and Bing Crosby once again hits the radio, the holiday season hits Tuscaloosa. At the University, the snowfall is accompanied by Hilaritas, the 52-year-old concert tradition.

This year’s performance, held Friday, Dec. 2 at 7:30 p.m. and again on Sunday, Dec. 4 at 3 p.m. in the Moody Music Building Concert Hall, features holiday music played by the Alabama Jazz Ensemble under the direction of Chris Kozak, UA director of jazz studies, and the University Singers, directed by John Ratledge, UA director of choral studies.

Ticket prices shouldn’t break the Christmas budget, ranging from $8 to $12 for the general public and $4 to $6 for students, seniors and children. The show sold out last year, so people are encouraged to buy tickets early.

The music featured will be a mixture of holiday favorites such as “O Come All Ye Faithful” and secular tunes like “Jingle Bells” and “White Christmas”.

The tradition was started in 1969 by UA choral director Fred Prentice and jazz professor Steve Sample. The first show was an all-day event and included an art show.

“Hilaritas” is a Latin word that, according to the school of music, roughly translates into “live joyfully, and be proud of who you are,” and the ensembles worn by the performers themselves personify that.

From mosquitoes to tuxedoes and everything in between, a little Christmas creativity brings smiles from the crowd and musicians alike.

The concert, which falls on the eve of dead week, will provide a festive study break for students as they prepare for the rigors of final exams.

If You Go

What: Hilaritas holiday concert

Where: Moody Music Building Concert Hall

When: Dec. 2 at 7:30 p.m., Dec. 4 at 3 p.m.