Painting event to remember student

The University of Alabama Restaurant and Hospitality College along with the Art College will be hosting “UA Painting with a Purpose,” tonight at 6 in the Ferguson Ballroom. There, students will paint portraits to commemorate Morgan Sigler, one of the six UA students who died in the April 27 tornado

The event will help raise money for the Morgan Sigler fund, which gives art supplies to children in need overseas.

“It feels great to do this; she would be the first person to sign up for this,” said Jordan Buff, a senior majoring in restaurant and hospitality management. “Morgan was very passionate about her art.”

Buff, Sigler’s roommate before the tornado, decided to create this event to help Sigler’s fund at the beginning of the semester when she was asked to do a project in one of her classes.

“Morgan’s parents have been helping with this all semester long and will be at the event tomorrow night,” Buff said. “They are bringing her artwork to put on display,”

Caleb O’Connor, whose work will be displayed in the new Federal building in downtown Tuscaloosa, will instruct artists of all skill levels at the event tonight.

“We expect a lot of people to come out and support this event and the fund,” said Lauren Scoggan, a junior double majoring in Spanish and restaurant hospitality and meetings management.

“We have also been working with the art department to help us with this process,” said Scoggan.

The event will be free and open to the public. Donations will be accepted at the door.  Refreshments and TCBY yogurt will be offered at the event before the instructions for the painting starts.

Sigler’s paintings will be displayed at 6 p.m., and the instructions and painting will begin at 6:30 p.m. The painting should last for one to two hours.

For more information on this event contact the Ferguson center at 205-348-7525.