Veterans Day observance ceremony to be held at Gorgas

The Student Government Association and Campus Veterans Association will host a memorial on Nov. 11, Veterans Day, to honor military and veterans at The University of Alabama.

The ceremony will be held in front of the Gorgas Library at the Flagpoles. Armed service veterans, their families and currently serving military members will be guests of honor at this special event. UA currently has 922 students who are veterans, service members and dependents.

“The purpose of the ceremony is to honor our fallen military men and women,” David Blair, director of veterans and military affairs, said. “The University has many students who are active veterans.”

In addition to the SGA and CVA, University of Alabama ROTC Color Guard and several student veterans, service members and dependents will host the Veterans Day Ceremony.

“The ceremony is a collaboration between the SGA and the Campus Veteran Association,” Matt Harris, SGA deputy chief of staff, said. “The event is a great chance for the SGA to increase veteran relations.”

There will be several guest speakers, including Stephen Swinson, SGA president; Mark Nelson, vice president of Student Affairs; and Will Suculpe, president of the Campus Veteran Association.

“President Swinson has agreed to address the ceremony,” Harris said. “The audience should realize the importance of Veterans Day.”

The University of Alabama is a veteran-friendly University and employer, with students, faculty and staff who have been supporting armed force members and their families since its inception. More ceremonies are planned for the future.

A veteran recognition ceremony will be held at The University of Alabama’s first men’s basketball game, Blair said.

Students who are interested in donating to or assisting the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs or in taking care of veteran students can contact the UA Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.