Habitat for Humanity holds Frisbee tournament

The Tuscaloosa branch of Habitat for Humanity will hold a charity ultimate Frisbee tournament to help raise money for efforts building houses in Tuscaloosa on Friday, Oct. 21.

“We are trying to raise money to help those who lost their houses in the tornado and have them rebuilt,” said Lauren Wesley, a sophomore and coordinator of the ultimate Frisbee tournament. “I have been working on this for about two weeks, coordinating with the [Student Recreation Center] and getting teams set up.”

The cost to participate in the tournament will be $5 per person, and all the proceeds will go toward the rebuilding effort.

At the event, T-shirts will be sold for $12, and the winners of the tournament will get free T-shirts. Each team will have five to seven players, and anyone who wants to sign up individually will be placed on a team.

“This is a great opportunity to have a lot of fun and give back to the community,” Wesley said.

Habitat for Humanity has also been working closely with Nick Saban on a program to rebuild the houses devastated in the tornado.

“Right now, Habitat for Humanity is doing 13 for 13, which is a program working alongside Coach Nick Saban to build 13 houses for the 13 National Championships we have, and we hope to have them all built by January,” said Jared Patterson, volunteer coordinator and director of outreach.

Patterson said Bob Johnson, the executive director of Habitat for Humanity in Tuscaloosa, has been working in Tuscaloosa since April 27, and the program started on July 10. Since July, the office has grown from a small affiliate to an organization with eight employees and is still growing.

“We’ve had some expected struggles, like getting familiar with each other, but everything has gone fantastic so far,” Patterson said.

Students have until Thursday night to sign up, for the event. To sign up students need to contact Lauren Wesley at [email protected].