A new kind of service on Sunday

Harish Rao

Instead of their Sunday best, some UA students dressed in work clothes, boots and tennis shoes to gather for a different kind of morning service Sunday.

Nearly 100 students volunteered in the first meeting of the Student Government Association’s Sunday Service Initiative at the Tuscaloosa Area Volunteer Reception Center, helping clear debris in portions of Alberta.

“I love that they called it Sunday Service,” said Kim Montgomery, Director of the TAVRC. “I don’t think we’re always supposed to be in a pew because we should be out there living it. This is what love is supposed to look like – serving others.”

SGA President Stephen Swinson and Executive Deputy Vice President Matt Calderone contacted Montgomery last Wednesday, she said, looking to provide a service outlet for students unable to volunteer during the week.

Swinson and Calderone said the idea came to fruition as soon as Swinson took office.

“I felt like the SGA needed to recommit themselves to the clean up effort,” Swinson said. “I got with Matt as soon as I took office and we decided we needed to provide ample opportunities for students to volunteer. I believe, as student leaders, it’s our responsibility to organize these activities.”

Calderone said he wanted to provide the opportunities for students who were looking for them.

“There are just a lot of students that wanted to work on Sunday,” he said. “It’s convenient for students. There’s not a lot of time during the week.”

Currently, the Sunday Service process is fairly simple. Students who want to volunteer a few hours any Sunday can show up at the TAVRC on University Blvd., sign in, and join a team for the day.

Calderone said as the program gets more popular, the SGA might have to implement pre-registration and more infrastructure. But, for now, they want to keep it as simple as possible.

“Let’s not complicate something that doesn’t need to be complicated,” Calderone said. “We’re trying to tackle one project at a time.”

Calderone said all of the service projects would be located in the Alberta area and usually involve debris removal.

“Today, our mission is simply to clean,” Montgomery said. “Places here are still not quite ready to be built on.”

Community Service Center Director Wahnee Sherman and Honors College Assembly President Sarah Hughes spoke to students before they began volunteering, in addition to SGA officials and the Alberta area city councilman Kip Tyner.

“My house was destroyed, like over 60 percent of this district was,” said Tyner, whose house was pictured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. “I really appreciate your efforts.”

Montgomery said she believes the volunteers provide a morale boost as much as physical service.

“I think volunteers make victims see that people haven’t forgotten about them or moved on to the next big thing,” she said. “We’re not in the newspaper and on TV everyday anymore so people haven’t been coming out as much. But there is still a need.”

Students said they are eager and willing to do their part.

“We are here and we want to help in any way. If I’m in town, I’ll be here every Sunday,” said Julianne Burke, a senior majoring in biology.

“I don’t like to see it [Tuscaloosa] like this,” said Sam Albea, a freshman majoring in business. “I want to see it get back to normal.”

The commitment shown by the SGA and UA students is heartwarming, Montgomery said, and just what the TAVRC needs.

“We want as many people possible to be committed to the process as long as it takes,” she said.

Students interested in volunteering with the Sunday Service Initiative are encouraged to come out next Sunday at noon. The TAVRC is located at 2512 University Blvd. E., in Alberta City.

For students who want to volunteer their services at other times, the TAVRC is opening 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday thru Friday, and 7 a.m. thru noon on Saturdays.

Montgomery encourages people to stop by. Help with debris removal is always welcomed, but volunteers can assist with office work, supervision and publicity if unable to participate in strenuous labor.

“There are things to be done – big or small,” Montgomery said. “Except there’s no small when you’re helping put someone’s life back together.”

For more information about the Sunday Service initiative, contact Matt Calderone at [email protected]

More information about TAVRC can be found at ttownvolunteer.com, or call (205) 248-5045.