Tradition continues for UA homecoming

Students at the University will be starting the festivities for another year of homecoming beginning on Sunday, Oct. 2 and ending on Saturday, Oct. 8 with the Alabama vs. Vanderbilt game. Preparation for the events has been going on since January.

“We are very excited to see how homecoming turns out this year; a lot of organizations have signed up,” said Katie Mellown, a senior and executive director of homecoming.

The homecoming events will start with the annual Roll Tide Run, which is an event open to the public. The race will begin at 10 a.m. Following the race, at 1:30 p.m., the Crimson Kick-off will take place, with a powder-puff football game and block party.

During the week of homecoming, many events will be going on to give students an opportunity to get involved with the spirit of homecoming. One of homecoming’s last events is the pep rally and bonfire next Friday on the Quad at 7 p.m.

“I would have to say one of the biggest events for homecoming here is the pep rally and bonfire because it is one of the oldest traditions we have in homecoming, and it brings everyone out to see the team, band and the homecoming queen is announced,” Mellown said.

“The pep rally and bonfire are usually big alumni events, but we are trying to get more students to come out and come together before the game on Saturday,” said Claire Woodring, a senior and director of the pep rally and bonfire.

Woodring said she is excited about pep rally, where the winners of the events going on during the week will be announced.

Katie Norris and Isabella Wesley are directors of the parade and have had a big part to play in homecoming week.

“The planning for the parade has been going well; we have 61 organizations signed up so far, but we should have more. Last year we had 84,” Norris said. “We found out the game will begin at 6 p.m. this year, giving us a chance to have the parade at 12 p.m., instead of the game starting at 11 a.m. and the parade being early in the morning.”

The theme for this year’s homecoming will be “The Tradition Rolls On.

Woodring said the name for homecoming did not have a specific purpose, but it does serve as a way to show how Tuscaloosa has been able to continue to move forward after the tornado.

For more information about homecoming events and how to register, visit homecoming.ua.edu.