Space between us: long distance relationships

In geometry, students learn that the shortest distance between any two points is a line. Now, more college couples are applying this knowledge with the use of their own resource line ? online, that is.

The proliferation of social media sites and the ease of communicating from great distances have influenced more long distance relationships.

Over four million non-marital relationships in America are long distance, according to a study by the Center for the Study of Long Distance Relationships.

This growing phenomenon has even made its way to the University of Alabama, whether the distance is regional or across the globe.

Casey Sanders, a senior majoring in elementary education, said her fiancé lives in Germany. The two met in Spain and were committed after only 10 days. Though the distance is difficult, Sanders knew it was meant to be and trusted that things would work out in the end.

“I wondered if I would ever see him again,” she said. “I prayed a lot about it and got confirmation.”

Long distance couples in college see each other an average of every 23 days, according to a report published by the Association for Assessment in Counseling and Education.

However, Facebook and Skype are helping couples connect more easily than ever before.

Rosanna Guadagno, a professor of psychology at UA specializing in social media, said sites like these play both negative and positive roles in long distance.

Sometimes the parts of a relationship that should be private become very public, she said.

“The norms of self-disclosure are different in Facebook,” she said. “But you have to find a middle ground.”

She said individuals would not divulge their life story upon a first encounter with someone, yet they might share all the fine points of their relationship with strangers on social media.

Guadagno said individuals must determine what is appropriate, even being mindful of how posts may affect their significant other. If excessive posting occurs, it could signify trouble. The couple could look like they’re trying too hard to make it work.

It may also inform outside parties that the object of one’s affection is in a long distance relationship, signaling an opportunity to move in, she said.

Still, many couples find applications like Skype help ease the pain of separation.

Sanders said she and her fiancé Skype every day for at least an hour.

Formerly in a long distance relationship, Sarah Axley, a senior majoring in physics, said being physically together still provides a feeling Skype cannot.

“When you see someone you also have physical proximity, which triggers all those bonding instincts and emotions,” she said. “It’s kind of like the difference between going to a football game and watching it on TV.”

Stan Brodsky, a UA psychology professor, agreed technology can only do so much for a relationship.

“When the couple have met briefly or through an Internet dating site and then are apart, they may have a loving and wonderful relationship through Skype or texting or calls,” Brodsky said. “However, that is not the same as being together in person. Once together for extended periods, it is common for these L-D relationships that develop from a distance to fall apart.”

Philip Gable, a professor of psychology, said distance could also cause intense emotions to lessen. Additionally, if the relationship is primarily built on physical intimacy, the distance may be even more stressful.

“The number one predictor of human attachment is proximity,” he said. “Absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder.”

He cautions that each couple is different, however, and that much of this is speculative.

Brodsky agreed that no single rule governs all LDRs.

“Some people are very good at deferring gratification and waiting comfortably until they are together,” he said. “For other people, it is a continuous process of pain, distress, worry, loneliness and sometimes jealousy.”

One thing Guadagno advises is for couples to reduce Twitter usage.

“I think it’s actually not good for relationships,” she said. “It’s much healthier to Skype.”

In the end, a relationship’s ability to last may come down to the couple’s compatibility and commitment.

“You choose this is what you want, and it doesn’t matter what comes along,” Sanders said. “You choose and you go with that.”

Caroline Murray and Corrin Mason contributed to this article.