Street preachers aim to witness to students on campus

In recent years, the University of Alabama has been visited by a significant number of people who come to campus to do what many people might consider somewhat unusual: shout Bible verses at students as they walk to and from class.

These individuals, known as street preachers, public ministers or open-air preachers, travel around the country preaching on street corners, college campuses and other public places.

Ken Lansing, who heads up the public preaching group Banners Unfurled, said he preaches in public because it’s the only way many people will hear the Gospel.

“I grew up and went to college, living the party life, never going to any preaching services,” Lansing said.  “The only way for anyone to have reached me was to be out where I was at parties and on the college campus.  So, I go where there are people who may or may not have access to hearing the Bible.”

While some stick to quoting Bible verses about the need to convert to Christianity, other public ministers come across as far more confrontational in their message and method of getting that message across.

“Brother” Micah Armstrong, a public minister who has visited the University on many occasions, often shouts insults at pedestrians, calling them names and condemning them to hell for sins such as listening to rock music and watching Hollywood movies.  Armstrong often sings a song when he visits college campuses called “It’s Not OK to Be Gay.”

Since the University requires a permit for any public event, many of these public ministers are removed from campus.

Students express a wide variety of opinions regarding this method of spreading Christianity.

“Even though I am a Christian myself, I feel that religion is a private matter that should only be preached to those who want to listen,” said Aaron Taylor, a sophomore majoring in management information systems.  “I personally am not offended by people who preach in public, but I feel that other students with conflicting viewpoints could possibly be offended.”

Other students feel that the controversial method used by the majority of public ministers ruins what could otherwise be an acceptable message.

“I think that street preaching is an ineffective method of getting people to convert,” said Chris Roberts, a junior majoring in finance.  “People who choose not to be a part of the same faith don’t want to be told they are going to hell unless they convert.”

Alex Mendoza, a junior who is studying nursing at the University, said that while he sympathizes with the ministers’ desire to spread the Gospel, they could find better ways to do it.

“My problem with them is the way that they try to convey that message,” said Mendoza.  “Instead of being compassionate and loving as Jesus taught us to be, they convey a message of fire and brimstone. If you don’t …repent and convert to their version of the Gospel, you are doomed to go to hell.”

In spite of the fact that many public ministers likely preach to more people in a day than most ministers do in a year, public ministers are quick to acknowledge that few people convert as a result of their efforts.

“It’s not something that produces very much fruit,” said Lansing.  “I wish I could say I was more successful in it, but I’m not dealing with Sunday school children out there.”