We are UA

I guess in the end, most things worth saying are worth saying even if no one ever hears them. At least that’s the thought that led me to write this.

To the UA administration – yes, you. The ones we look up to for support, encouragement, structure and advice. The ones we trust to make decisions for us, represent us and lead us in the right direction. You have done so much to make us proud. But frankly, we are ashamed of a few things as of late.

Who is “we?” Well, I am no one. I have been told for years that “I am UA” and that we are “touching lives,” but at the end of the day, I am just one face in a crimson sea. But I have sat in these classrooms, and I have been told that all it takes for injustice to prevail is for good men to do nothing, so I am just no one, not doing nothing. I will not claim to represent the student body, but I can also guarantee that there is a large portion – dare I say a majority – who will no longer tolerate segregated rush. I am writing to say one simple thing: we do not agree.

I am a student. I do not have the money that alumni have, and I am not a member of the greek system. I have nothing to offer, really, but myself. I have spoken the praises of the University of Alabama far and wide, but today, for the first time ever, I found myself considering removing my UA window decal. I found myself not wanting to encourage high school students to visit our campus. I’m not even sure I want to go to the football games. And I refuse to encourage one more young person to attend this institution until we change.

We are UA. ALL of US. You told us that. Please don’t forget that.