Trustees approve next move

University of Alabama trustees approved resolutions Thursday to continue construction on the North Bluff Residential Community, as well as construct a digital media center inside Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The trustees also approved the opening of a second Woods & Water, Inc. location. The business will open on The Strip at 1201 University Blvd., the former location of the Booth.

Tuscaloosa trustee Paul Bryant Jr. was also unanimously recommended and elected as president pro tempore of the Board of the Trustees.

“Every year, the trustees reelected the position,” said Kellee Reinhart, vice chancellor for system relations of the University of Alabama system. “A trustee is eligible to serve three successive one-year terms, so Trustee Finis St. John from Cullman, Ala., who completed his third year [Friday], passed the gavel to his successor, Trustee Bryant.”

While in the Physical Properties Committee Meeting, trustees voted to approve the second phase of construction on the North Bluff Residential Community and its $62.5 million budget. The community, which is expected to open next fall, is expected to house more than 800 students and feature a semi-private courtyard with a landscaped area and pavilions.

According to Board of Trustees books, the North Bluff Residential Community will be partially built on the footprint of the existing Rose Towers, which will be demolished in 2012.

The Annual Consolidated Capital Projects and Facilities Report which was presented to the Board of Trustees in June 2011 also called for a new recreational facility, which will contain weight and fitness training, multi-use gymnasium space, group exercise and personal training opportunities, as well as a dining center, to serve students living on the north side of campus.

Trustees also approved the $8.1 million budget of the proposed move of Crimson Tide Productions, WVUA-TV and the Center for Public Television to The Zone at Bryant-Denny Stadium. The budget, which was increased from officials’ initial $6.5 million estimate because of the addition of square feet of construction, passed unanimously.