University’s religious studies department one of few in the southeast

The University’s department of religious studies is the only full department of its kind at a public school in the state.

“In the hotly contested environment of 21st century American culture, in which ‘theory and belief’ and ‘church and state’ are catchwords for controversy, the department of religious studies seeks to train scholars who can walk the razor’s edge of a seemingly intractable debate and inject perspective and clarity into the proliferating babble,” said Department Chair Theodore Trost.

Even more unique is the offering of a minor in Judaic studies. This program is headed by Steven L. Jacobs, the Aaron Aronov chair of Judaic studies.

“Mine is a unique position in a unique department,” Jacobs said.

Since 1990 the department has offered the minor in Judaic jtudies. It is not only the lone minor program in the state, but one of the few across the southeast, he said.

Jacobs said that many students have misconceptions about what Judaic studies or religious studies in general entail.

“We aren’t a priest or seminary program,” Jacobs said. “Most of our students have no desire to work in religion.”

One thing students may find interesting is that the minor is much more flexible than others on campus. Students are required to take three classes that focus on Jewish philosophy, history, and theology.

After that, they take four elective courses and can petition for courses from other departments to count towards the minor. Common elective courses are Hebrew language classes offered by the department of modern languages and classics, and classes with the Holocaust as the subject, including film classes.

“We see students from all backgrounds,” Jacobs said. “Our course on the Middle East draws students from international relations, history, and politics.”

Chesley Peed, who minored in Judaic studies and is planning to get her masters in the same field, said it is an area of study that genuinely intrigues her.

“After one class in Judaic studies with Dr. Steve Jacobs, I was hooked,” Peed said. “It was surprising for me to learn that we have one of the top schools in genocide and Holocaust studies. As a professor, Dr. Jacobs invests a vast amount of effort into the program and his students’ careers.”

Students interested in Judaic studies or the department of religious studies should visit Trost and Jacobs’ offices in Manly Hall. Jacobs said he encourages students from every walk of life to study religion.

“The study of Judaism is foundational to so many disciplines,” Jacobs said. “I’m thrilled and honored to have this position at the University.”