Get on Board Day expects big turnout

The University of Alabama will host Get on Board Day at the Ferguson Center today from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. to showcase different student organizations on campus and allow interested students the opportunity to sign up for involvement in these various clubs.

“Get on Board Day is an information fair for students who are trying to get involved in various organizations,” said Alex Karagas, coordinator of Student Involvement and Leadership. “This year, we will have 256 tables, which will make it the largest Get on Board day we have had.”

Karagas said Get on Board Day had thousands of students pass through last year, and organizers expect more students to do the same this year. Get on Board Day will have Taco Casa, Buffalo Wild Wings and McAlister’s present to give out food to students.

“The Woods Quad will have academic and professional organizations, and the Promenade and plaza will have religious and athletic organizations,” Karagas said.

Nancy Hogan, director of Fiscal Affairs for the SOURCE and a senior at the University, said she has been involved with Get on Board Day since her freshman year. Hogan is in charge of monitoring the budget, along with the day-to-day management of different operations for Get on Board Day.

“Over the years, we have been refining our maps, and organizations will now be grouped together by their interests,” Hogan said. “More students are getting involved and trying to broaden their horizons; sometimes students don’t know where to start and throw in the towel instead of thinking about what they want to devote their time to.”

Hogan encouraged students who do not know where they fit in at the University to attend Get on Board Day to not only join an organization, but to talk with other students who have made it a point to get involved with the University and the organizations that are made available. There will be maps and people available to help students who need to be directed to certain tables or who need help finding the organization that is most in common among those with their interests and hobbies.

“There are nearly 400 student organizations that will be represented at Get on Board Day,” Karagas said.

Students who are interested in finding out which organizations will be present can visit thesource.ua.edu to find a complete list of organizations that will be attending.