University to honor tornado victims Sunday

The April 27 tornado claimed the lives of 50 Tuscaloosa residents, including six UA students, and injured many more. Thousands were affected, as homes and businesses were damaged and destroyed along the EF4 tornado’s path.

On Sunday, Aug. 28 at 7:30 p.m., UA students and staff will gather at Palmer Lake behind Lakeside Dining to remember the impact the April 27 tornado had on the community and the loss of lives, honor the response of students and staff and celebrate moving forward together as a UA family

“UA Day of Remembrance will bring the community together to honor those who were lost during the storm, highlight the volunteer efforts by the UA community and celebrate moving forward together as a UA family,” SGA president Grant Cochran said.

Seth Morrow, SGA communications director, said the University will present five awards at the event. Honors students, employees, alumni and members of the community who provided outstanding service will receive the annual Acts of Kindness Heroes Award.

“The process began with an online application where you were able to nominate heroes,” he said. “The nominations were then sent to a selection committee made up of UA faculty and students who voted on the recipients.”

David Wilson, SGA vice president of student affairs, said planning for the Day of Remembrance occurred throughout the summer, but the University wanted to ensure that all students had returned to campus before holding the event.

“The memorial service and graduation ceremonies were more intimate events for the students’ families, but this ceremony has been designed for the entire Alabama campus,” Wilson said. “This event should really honor the six students who lost their lives in the storm while also acknowledging the impact the storm had on our University community.”

Several will speak at the event, including President Robert Witt and SGA president Grant Cochran. The University Singers will also perform during the ceremony.

“The event is not so much a memorial,” Morrow said. “Tuscaloosa already held an event in May mourning those we lost. Instead, this day is going to focus on moving forward together.”

The University requests students not bring candles or other fire hazards to the service. Instead, luminaries will surround the lake as a symbolic vision of the light the UA community has put forth.

A reception will be held in the Ferguson Center Plaza following the service, featuring food from some of the restaurants damaged or destroyed by the storm, including Krispy Kreme and McAllister’s Deli. Bama Dining and TCBY will also serve food at the event.

“The impact of the April 27 tornado cannot be understated, and this event should help provide some comfort and closure for our students and faculty,” said Cochran.

UA students, faculty and staff are invited to write their thoughts and memories of the April 27 tornado and place them in remembrance boxes located at Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library, Ferguson Center, Bidgood Hall, the Student Recreation Center, Shelby Hall, Gordon Palmer Hall and the CrimsonRide Hub. The University will archive those memories along with photos, videos and print coverage of the days that followed the storm.

In the event of rain, the program will move to the Ferguson Center Ballroom.