Announcements for 1/21/2010

Student organization resource meeting planned for next week

Foresight is an interactive workshop designed to equip and empower student organizations through providing information about the various resources available around campus. Foresight is a prerequisite for FAC funding. A Foresight meeting will be held Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Ferguson Center Room 360. For more information, email [email protected].

Honor society applications available

Applications for six different honor societies on campus are available. The Blue Key Honor Fraternity, the Anderson Society, Omicron Delta Kappa, the Mortar Board, Cardinal Key Honor Society and Lambda Sigma have applications posted at honorsocieties.ua.edu. The deadline has been extended for students to apply until Jan. 24. For more information, contact Taylor Scruggs, president of the Coordinating Council for Honor Societies.

WRC holds equal pay workshop

As part of an initiative of the American Association of University Women and The WAGE Project to ensure that women graduating from college start their careers knowing how to negotiate for fair and equal pay, the Women’s Resource Center and the Career Center will be hosting a Start Smart workshop Jan. 27 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. This workshop is open to all women on campus. Space is limited. Interested participants should call (205) 348-5040 or email Maria Perez-Fisher at [email protected] to register by January 25th.

This nuts-and-bolts workshop will give participants the tools to allow women to become their own best advocates as they explore the gender pay gap while learning the strategies for sound pay negotiation.

VFW post holds cookout

The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6022 in Cottondale will hold a barbecue cook-out on Saturday at the post at 7001 University Blvd East. The post will open at noon. A slab of ribs costs $15, and rib plates are $7.50. A CD dance party and karaoke starts at 8 p.m., and there is no cover. For more information call 553-8040 after 3 p.m.

Students can participate with Haiti relief efforts

UA Students who want to make donations to assist the earthquake victims in Haiti can do so in three ways: (1) visit the Haiti relief tables in the Ferguson Student Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for the next two weeks; (2) text “Haiti” to 90999 to donate $10 through the Clinton relief fund; or (3) text “Yele” to 501501 to donate $5 through the Wyclef Jean Foundation. All donations will be directed to the Red Cross. For more information, contact Josh Burford at 348-2865 at the Community Service Center