Students plans for summer

As the semester comes to a close, the University Career Center offers tips and information for students who may have concerns about how to spend their summer, and what will result in the best time spent.

“Each student needs to think about building their resume,” said Jerry Paschal, executive director at the Career Center. “Choosing what to do during the summer is a process and not just a decision. Internships that have a definite learning portion are necessary.”

Although the Career Center does not handle placing students in full-time job positions, the center does help with job searching strategies.

“If a student wants to be involved during the summer they should talk with faculty, an advisor and their parents,” Paschal said.

At least 75 percent of jobs are acquired through this method of asking others — professors, family, friends and daily contacts – for assistance in locating positions, according to the Career Center website, career.ua.edu.

The Career Center also helps students find internships.

There are many opportunities for a student to be prepared for whatever path they choose to take this summer. Students who wish to be informed about different internships and job opportunities that may be available during the summer should set up an account with the Career Center.

With an account, students will receive emails about open job opportunities through the Crimson Careers program found on the Career Center website.

The Career Center also offers information sessions and mock interviews, which include person-to-person interviews and virtual interviews that give students experience for future job interviews that may happen in college or out of college, according to the website.

Almost every major at the University offers a wide range of internship possibilities.

“Some colleges really encourage experience before graduation,” said Gayle Howell, senior career consultant for the satellite office for the College of Engineering. “Eighty percent of professional level positions filled are through networking.”

Additionally, if students are looking to study abroad, Capstone International offers information on study abroad programs and which colleges would be best for students in specific majors.

“BMW, for example, looks for people who think globally,” Howell said. “They look at someone who has studied a foreign language or who has traveled abroad. If a person has some experience in their field it is usually easier to start. The business college has a couple of different relationships based on majors abroad.”

The Human Resources Center also offers information about on-campus jobs that are offered at the University during the school year and the summer.

For more information about job opportunities and internships, visit career.ua.edu