Students go barefoot for poverty awareness

On Tuesday, hundreds of UA students, and thousands more from across the country, walked out the front door for school or work, leaving behind one important item from their wardrobe: shoes.

One Day Without Shoes is a worldwide event that was started by TOMS founder Blake Mycoskie to raise awareness of people around the world who have to live, work and play every day without shoes.

Last year’s event saw a record number of participants worldwide with more than 250,000 people going barefoot for a day, according to the TOMS website.

The UA TOMS Facebook group had 711 confirmed participants on the day of the event.

Students were enthusiastic about the fact that going barefoot could help raise awareness of the need for shoes around the world.

“I am participating in One Day Without Shoes to help raise awareness of the people who are forced to live without them,” said Ray Robertson, a senior majoring in social work.

Some students said they believed that many Americans fail to appreciate shoes because nearly everyone has multiple pairs.

“I think a lot of times we take what we have for granted because we assume everyone else has the same thing,” said Emmalee Stewart, a sophomore majoring in biology. “I open my closet and have to choose between several dozen pairs of shoes, and I forget that some people would be ecstatic to have just one of those pairs of shoes.”

Still, others participated to help get the TOMS message out.

“I decided to participate for several reasons, obviously to publicize the nature of the TOMS organization, that for every pair of TOMS sold, they donate one pair of shoes to a child in a high-need, high-poverty region,” said Colin Whitworth, a junior majoring in English. “I also love their product and that they have a business model that merges charity and functionality. Plus, I love going barefoot.”

Students said they hoped going barefoot for a day would draw the attention of peers and foster discussion about the need for shoes around the world.

“I hope that other students ask me why I am not wearing shoes so that I am able raise awareness of the need for shoes in the rest of the world,” Robertson said.

Others said they hoped people would realize the painful and unhealthy results of not having shoes to wear.

“Many people in America don’t realize that millions of children worldwide walk many miles every day in rough terrain, and they do all that barefoot,” Stewart said. “I hope that by going barefoot for one day, I can raise awareness of these children and what a difference one pair of shoes can make.”

Still, a few students went barefoot primarily to raise awareness of the difference that TOMS Shoe Company is making around the world.

“Even if you don’t want to run around barefoot, throw on a pair of TOMS,” Whitworth said. “They’re comfy, and a child in need will get some aid because of your purchase.”

TOMS has donated more than 1 million shoes to impoverished people around the world, according to the company website.

Students who would like to make an impact locally may volunteer to help the TOMS Campus Club. The club collects used shoes and gives them to local homeless shelters for distribution to the needy. For more information, contact the UA Community Service Center.