Tide set to host Samford at Home

The No. 19 Alabama Crimson Tide Baseball (21-9, 7-2) is set to host Samford (19-11, 8-4) tonight as the Bulldogs travel to Sewell-Thomas Stadium.

Both teams are coming off weekend-series wins, as Samford beat the Davidson Wildcats, and the Crimson Tide beat the No. 13 Arkansas Razorbacks, a team ranked in many national polls.

However, the Bulldogs have had success with their season as well, posting victories over in-state opponents Troy and Jacksonville State, as well as two wins over UAB (a feat the Tide hasn’t accomplished this season.) The Bulldogs have also had success in conference play, tying UNC-Greensboro for third in the Southern Conference and beating co-leader Georgia Southern two out of three games last weekend. The Bulldogs also have a three-game win streak against Alabama.

On the season, Samford has averaged a .289 batting average, and is led by freshman outfielder Phillip Ervin, with a .415 batting average. The Bulldogs have held the opposition to a .234 batting average. The Bulldogs also 22 homeruns on the season, almost triple the amount Alabama has, with eight.

The Crimson Tide has batted fairly well as a team however, with a .279 batting average. The Tide’s strength appears to be its pitching, however, as it has held opponents to an average of .237 on the season. It looks like the key for victory for the Tide will be on the mound, as it tries to slow down the Bulldogs’ at-bats.