SGA vice presidents recount past year

The term for the current elected officials in the Student Government is coming to an end, and the time to reflect and look back on what was and was not accomplished has come. Stephen Swinson, vice president of student affairs, and Nicole Bohannon, executive vice president, both said they experienced achievements and setbacks while in office.

As Swinson leaves office, he said he feels that the overall goal for his term was to reach students.

“My main goal was to reach out to the students who are forgotten by UA,” said Swinson. “We wanted to help students with children and handicaps and those who had financial needs.”

Swinson and his committee were able to make a map for students with handicaps that showcased entrances ramps and other access points, he said. For students who had financial problems but wanted to get a job, Swinson pointed to a program created this year called the Business Attire program, which allows students who did not have the right amount of funds to rent a suit for a business interview.

“I feel that one of our biggest accomplishments was the redesign of the football ticket system and the seating. We created the penalty system so more students had a chance to go to games,” Swinson said.

The biggest setback Swinson felt was the amount of money he and his committee were able to raise for scholarships.

“We could have raised a little more money,” Swinson said.

The SGA raised $8,600 dollars in scholarships, $4,300 going to the Student Government Association and $4,300 going to student organizations.

“My goal for this year was to make the Student Senate more open and available to the students who needed then,” Bohannon said.

Bohannon said this was one of the first times that SGA college forums were around for students to talk to the officials and hear about important news going on.

“This year we paired senators with student organizations to help with communication and to also help with funding for the organizations,” Bohannon said. “We also implemented Meet your Senator Day, which allowed students to find out who would be representing them.”

During the current term, the depletion of FAC funds left many student organizations unable to participate in certain events and gain necessary items for their organizations.

“Although this was a setback, it was a good setback,” Bohannon said. “We now see that student organizations need more funding and we are lobbying with the administration to create more funding for these organizations.”