Behind Enemy Lines with Nathaniel Evans of The Western Carolinian

Photo courtesy of Nathaniel Evans

Jack Kennedy | @jwkennedy24, Staff Reporter

The Crimson White caught up with Nathaniel Evans, the editor-in-chief of Western Carolina’s student newspaper, The Western Carolinian. Here’s all you need to know about the Catamounts as the Crimson Tide prepares for its final home game of the season.

Q: What is the importance of Western Carolina playing a Power Five team like Alabama?

A: For Western, I think the most important aspect is the chance for more play time. We are, unfortunately, near the bottom of our own conference, so we are clearly lacking in some areas. So, the more play time we have, the better we can get. The experience the team should get from playing a team like Alabama should go a long way to making us better next year.

Q: What is one area that Western Carolina will look to exploit against Alabama?

A: I can see the defense looking to exploit Mac Jones for his relative inexperience compared to [Tua] Tagovailoa. There is a good chance they will focus heavily on pressuring him, trying to rush through the offensive line and force him to make bad passes quickly so the offense can take over with fewer yards to go for a touchdown. Ideally, this would allow for our stellar defensive players to make some sacks and interceptions that they may not have gotten from Tagovailoa.

Q: Who are some players to look out for?

A: Offensively, keep an eye out for running back Donnavan Spencer. He has amassed over 1,300 career rushing yards in three years at Western Carolina, with just shy of 500 this year. Quarterback Tyrie Adams is always a danger as well. He is only the second Catamount to ever eclipse the 3,000-yard mark in a single season, he holds the school record with 64 career touchdown passes and, in combination with that, holds the school record for passing yards with 8,866. Defensively, Ty Harris and Trevor Childers are a terrifying linebacker duo. Harris was recently named SoCon [Southern Conference] Defensive Player of the Week, and he and Childers combine for a total of 193 tackles this year. On top of those two, sophomore Jayden Pauling has pulled off 6.5 sacks in his first season with the Catamounts and received SoCon Player of the Week for last week. These three are some of our more dangerous defensive players, and they will be seeking to press that advantage as much as possible.

Q: How will the Catamounts try to limit the high-powered Crimson Tide offense without Tagovailoa?

Just as before, I think the team will press hard defensively to provoke some mistakes in Alabama’s offense. Their goal will most likely be to rush hard and force turnovers early in the drive to give the offense a chance to score from closer opportunities.

Q: If Western Carolina wants to stay competitive against Alabama, they must…?

A: For Western to stay competitive, they have to limit Alabama’s offense. Our offense has been on the slow side this season compared to the previous seasons. To even have a chance, we would need to keep the score under 30. If our defense can hold strong, the offense will have a chance.

Q: What is your score prediction, and why?

A: At a guess, I would reckon 45–10. I’m not entirely sure Western’s defense will be able to hold back Alabama’s offense as the game progresses, as they tend to start strong and finish a little slower; however, I can envision Tyrie Adams making a few well-placed passes and handoffs to Spencer to get us on the scoreboard with a field goal, and even get a touchdown. I don’t think they will be able to get much more than that, though I’ll be hoping they do.