Eight top Twitter feeds to follow

July 15 of this year will mark the fifth anniversary of the formal launch of the website Twitter. Twitter, our favorite micro-blogging service, allows for us to, as Kingsley Clark pointed out last week, “do everything from keeping up with the headlines of all my favorite web media sources; to reading my favorite funny celebrities’ latest bit of comedic wit; to keeping tabs on my friends; to seeing funny pictures.”

This week TIME released its list of the top 140 Twitter feeds, and following suit I thought I would create my own list of top Twitter feeds, in no particular order:

@whitegrlproblem: “Try this top on. It’s hideous but I feel like that’s kind of your thing. #whitegirlproblems”

This is someone we can all relate to, either because you are this girl or you know someone just like her. This is the rich girl who has to have everything her way, but in a funny satirical way. We do love to hate her, but our inner diva can also relate entirely.

@TheUAMachine: “We got mentioned in the debate? We thought we were secret! This is embarrassing.”

We all know what the Machine is, and sometimes its divisive tendencies get our campus community up in arms; however, this Twitter feed gives the historically “secret” organization a snarky and satirical voice.

@RepWeiner: “its the 1 year anniversary of health care reform. In honor im going to read the bill to Sean Hannity. #noneofthebigwords”

Congressman Anthony Weiner represents the 9th district of New York, and I first heard of him during the healthcare reform repeal debates, when he said, “You know I want to just advise people watching at home playing that now-popular drinking game where you take a shot whenever the Republicans say something that’s not true, please assign a designated driver. This is going to be a long afternoon.” His Twitter feed maintains that sass and flair he is known for on the House floor.

@TheCrimsonWhite: “Wondering where the massive oak tree on the Quad went? We have the answer: http://bit.ly/fguD1G. Who misses it?”

The Crimson White’s Twitter feed allows students to take advantage of micro-blogging at its finest. You can just go through the feed and decide what you find interesting and follow the respective links to read more about campus issues.

@LilyPuckett: “’I did that,’ said god, as he watched my cheese and crackers run out at the very same moment.”

Lily Puckett has many qualities similar to WhiteGrlProblems, but in living color. Lily is a UA transplant to New York City who is trying to cope with her white privilege and still keep up with the hustle and bustle of city life. She adds witty and satirical commentary on our generation’s mindset.

@StephenAtHome: “Part of me wonders if the inside of a pig’s mouth constantly tastes like bacon. And the other part says I don’t need to test that again.”

Stephen Colbert appeals to a wide variety of people with his ironic style of humor. His political satire is wonderfully entertaining and transfers well to Twitter.

@DalaiLama: “Large human movements spring from individual human initiatives.”

This is the Twitter feed from the Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. It emphasizes the importance of self-improvement by way of altruism, respect, and compassion. Although his Twitter feed is not very often humorous, it is humbling.

@Pres_Bartlet: “Newt Gingrich is afraid the US could be run over by Islamic theocrats and secular atheists. I’m afraid the US could be run by Newt Gingrich.”

This feed may only appeal to me because of my love for The West Wing, but I enjoy the wittiness of Josiah Bartlet and his commentary on current events.

Michael Patrick is a junior majoring in political science. His column runs biweekly on Thursdays.