New Pro-Temps and business professional appointed in first fall SGA meeting

CW File

CW File

Shah Emami | @shahemami, Staff Reporter

SGA members in business casual packed into Ferg Forum, Room 3700, for the first meeting of the semester. While brief, the meeting’s purpose was to discuss logistical matters on the docket for Fall 2019.

After the roll call, the Senate went through the resignation of Cailee Nelson and Robert Humphrey. Class conflicts barred them from filling the positions.

Executive Vice President Clay Martinson talked to SGA members to encourage them to participate in First Year Council (FYC).

An SGA 101 workshop will take place on Tuesday, September 5, at 5:30 p.m. Senate Training Day is scheduled for Sunday, September 8, at 1 p.m. Both events are aimed at newer SGA members and senators. 

During the meeting, the Senate reappointed Hani Razavi as SGA Parliamentarian. This is Razavi’s second year filling the role. Sam Rickert was appointed Speaker Pro-Temp with Jillian Fields as Secretary Pro-Temp.

After the office appointments, Resolution-39-19 was introduced. This resolution encourages the creation of a co-curricular transcript for students. Co-curricular activities take place outside of the classroom. This resolution aims to encourage participation in extracurriculars and will go into effect for the 2020-2021 school year. 

The meeting ended with a bill to bring back business professional attire in the Senate and was approved with one nay. Before business professional was approved, a previous bill was passed to implement business casual during meetings. The point of the bill was to create a professional environment and encourage productivity among SGA members.