UA students participate in Collegiate Legislature

Last week, 27 UA students traveled to Montgomery to participate in the annual Alabama YMCA Collegiate Legislature, an assembly of student delegations from four-year colleges throughout the state. Student delegates at the event performed duties similar to those of the Senators and Representatives who normally occupy the Alabama State House.

“Alabama YMCA Collegiate Legislature gives delegates the opportunity to draft, present and debate pressing, relevant bills on the floor of the Alabama House of Representatives,” the YMCA website states. “This hands-on learning experience provides college students with a better understanding of the legislative process in Alabama, and the elements necessary for effecting positive change through legislative procedure.”

After drafting bills, delegates took part in a mock session of legislature, where they presented their bills for debate.

“You are right in the action on the floor of the House and Senate chambers, where you have the chance to debate current issues facing our state that are important to you and gain perspectives from fellow colleagues,” said UA representative Charlotte Brown, a junior majoring in marketing and management.

The UA delegation was comprised of a diverse group of students, most of which posses an interest in campus or national politics. Delegates represented organizations such as College Republicans, College Democrats, Student Alumni Association and Freshman Forum, Brown said.

All students interested in state government may participate in the Collegiate Legislature.

“We take students from all different backgrounds and majors,” said Rachel Wilson, a senior majoring in management and Spanish. “Having that diversity makes debate and bill-writing more fun and engaging.”

The Collegiate Legislature is a great way to meet students from other universities while gaining valuable leadership skills and awareness of state-level issues, she said.

“I started Collegiate Legislature last year and absolutely fell in love with it,” she said. “It made me realize how much I care about state government, how the legislative process works and the issues that surround and affect Alabama.”

Of the 27 UA students who attended the Collegiate Legislature, 16 served in the House of Representatives and 11 in the Senate. In the House, seven bills proposed by UA students made it to the docket and two were passed. In the Senate, 11 bills made it to the docket, and six were passed.

The UA delegation received the Speaker’s Cup Award, which is awarded to the delegation that presents themselves best during debate as well as outside of the chambers.

Four UA students were elected to officer positions, which they will hold at the 2012 Collegiate Legislature. Winners include: Casey Johnson, Lieutenant Governor; Michael Fitzmorris, President Pro Tempore; Will Clayton, Speaker Pro Tempore; and Rachel Wilson, Senate Chaplain.

Students who are a part of the Collegiate Legislature learn how to make a lasting difference, Brown said.

“This hands-on learning experience provides college students with a better understanding of the legislative process in Alabama, and the elements necessary for effecting positive change through legislative procedure,” she said.