HCA hosts session for future leaders

The Honors College Assembly will host an information session tonight at 7 for students interested in applying for a 2011-2012 leadership position. Students are invited to the CBH Lab in Nott Hall to learn about the campaign rules and selection process.

According to the HCA Facebook page, the Honors College Assembly is a student-run organization that provides students with a sense of community, service and academic opportunities and intellectual growth.

Open to all Honors College students, the assembly hopes to help and encourage students who have ideas about how to make a difference on campus and in the community. HCA encourages Honors College students to get involved because it provides opportunities to personally impact the community, said Director of Civic Engagement Jacqueline Koncsol.

“Sometimes people aren’t sure how to get started or how to make that first connection on campus, but HCA is a great way to meet people who want to make a difference and will help make your ideas happen,” Koncsol said.

The HCA operates many activities on campus, most recently hosting the Final SGA Presidential Debate and Senate Candidate Meet and Greet. In addition to on-campus activities, the HCA Civic Engagement Committee supervises various mentoring programs throughout the community such as READ Alabama, The Arts Exploration Project and the AP Tutoring Initiative—all of which were created and led by students.

“If someone would like to increase his or her leadership activities, that person could easily do so through HCA,” said HCA Vice President Christy Boardman. “If someone wanted to initiate a project, that person could easily find the resources to do so through HCA.”

According to Koncsol, there are many levels of involvement between elected officials and members, but the experience is what you make of it.

“The important thing is that Honors students can be as involved as they wish from attending HCA events to creating a project through our MakeItHappen campaign,” said Koncsol. “One of our main focuses this year has been to spread the word about HCA and to make all Honors College students aware of the opportunities that HCA provides.”

As the Honors College continues to grow, so does its potential for achievement, Boardman said.

“The Honors College Assembly serves as a nucleus for all of this potential. While also providing an increased sense of community for Honors students, it allows powerful relationships to form between students,” she said.

Sarah Hughes, event coordinator for the civic engagement branch, echoed Boardman’s sentiments that HCA provides a place to build relationships on a rapidly expanding campus.

“I’m involved in HCA because the Honors College is the place where I found a home at UA my freshman year,” said Hughes. “HCA is an excellent source of a variety of opportunities to get involved and connect with other students with diverse social and academic interests.”

Hughes said it’s never too late to get involved.

“All students, not just freshmen, can find a program through HCA that fits their interests.”