ROTC trains at middle school

The University of Alabama Reserve Officers Training Corps first and second year students are getting an opportunity to use Westlawn Middle School for training exercises.

According to ROTC Cadet Kirby Thornton, the city of Tuscaloosa was planning to tear down the facility, so the ROTC is now able to use the school for training purposes. This is the first year ROTC students have had the opportunity to train in this type of setting.

“The city opened its doors to us,” Thornton said. The ROTC paid nothing for the facility.

The training teaches the cadets the rules of engagement, as well as who and what to target, he added.

During their training, the cadets will act out several scenarios including room clearing, target rooms and trick rooms. During these scenarios the cadets have a time limit of three seconds to “clear” the room, making sure no enemy is spared.

“It’s something you have to know when you’re over in Iraq or Afghanistan,” Thornton said.

The ROTC will use dummy rifles and paintball guns.

The trick and target rooms are set up so the soldiers do not know if the targets are “no shoot targets” or enemy targets. Some of the rooms have both “no shoot targets” and enemy targets. The targets are printed posters of terrorists aiming guns. They have to decide within the three-second time frame whether to shoot or not to shoot.

Thornton said the rooms and training are comparable to what a soldier might encounter in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The cadets were also graded on their performance. Grading was based on items like correct formation, preparation, avoiding friendly fire, how well the room was cleared and teamwork.

The grade is part of their class, but also significant in their training for overseas deployment. Incidents like “flagging”, carelessly pointing a rifle and firing at another cadet, can cost cadets points on their grade but lives on the front lines.

“It’s a death that can be prevented,” Thornton said.

The Tuscaloosa Police Department’s Special Response Team supervised the training exercises.

The Special Response Team and the ROTC have similar jobs, such as room clearing and using similar equipment.

The Team brought equipment relevant to the ROTC training program and demonstrated how the equipment should be used. Among the pieces of equipment were cameras and weapons to name a few.

Cary Baisden, member of the Special Response Team, said the team is also observing and offering training tips. The training can be beneficial to both sides.

“It’s always an opportunity to learn something or gain something,” Baisden added.

Among the ROTC students and the Tuscaloosa P.D.’s Special Response team, Paul “Bear” Bryant Jr. made an appearance. He said he thinks it’s a positive experience for the students to be able to practice their drills in a realistic setting.