Sorority tries on jean charity drive

The Theta Sigma chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority is teaming up with nationwide retail chain Aeropostale to sponsor a campus-wide clothing drive for disadvantaged children.   The drive, called “Jeans for Teens,” is part of a national effort by Aeropostale and the non-profit youth organization DoSomething.org to collect gently used jeans for homeless youth.

According to a news release from Aeropostale’s media relations department, this is the fourth year that the clothing store has sponsored the nationwide program.  To kick start this year’s campaign, Aeropostale contributed 10,000 pairs of brand new jeans. Through the efforts of volunteers across the country, the store expects to collect its millionth pair of donated jeans this year, the release states.

“It’s hard to think of people not having jeans when we have so many,” Alpha Kappa Alpha media spokeswoman Sade Mays said.

Mays, a senior majoring in marketing and public relations, said the sorority sisters have greeted the drive enthusiastically, with many promising to “donate way more than two pairs of jeans.”

“We are a community service organization, and our mission from day one has been to serve mankind,” Mays said.

Jeans for Teens was selected because it parallels the sorority’s current platform of “global leadership through timeless service,” she added. The sorority is using this platform to help others, especially teenagers.

After the jeans from today’s drive have been collected, they will be transported to the local Aeropostale store, which will then distribute them to homeless shelters in the community.

One out of every three homeless people in the U.S. is under the age of 18, according to DoSomething.org. Jeans for Teens is partnering with hundred of thousands of volunteers and more than 600 homeless shelters nationwide to raise awareness about youth homelessness and provide warm clothing for those affected by it.

“No teen should go without warm clothes this winter,” said “90210” star Matt Lanter, a national spokesman for the program. “We want our fans to run jean drives in their schools and communities to help us reach this goal.”

For those who are reluctant to part with their used jeans, Aeropostale is providing some motivation.

“They did promise to give us 25 percent off a new pair for each pair of jeans donated,” Mays said.

Once the jeans have been collected and turned over to Aeropostale, the sorority will receive one coupon from Aeropostale for each donated pair of jeans.  These coupons will then be made available to Jeans for Teens participants.

“We all know that this is America and teens are every size from zero to probably 22,” Mays said. “So, it doesn’t matter the size.  We are grateful to get anything.”

Students who are interested in the program but unable to participate in AKA’s Jeans for Teens drive may drop off their donations at any Aeropostale location before Feb. 13.

There are four drop-off locations for today’s drive: Ferguson Center from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Tutwiler Hall, Riverside West and Ridgecrest from 6-8 p.m.