Ad team makes a run for national competition

The University’s advertising team is a competitive group of 14 students with the goal of creating an advertising campaign by conducting research and creating finished advertisements for various clients. These clients, companies like State Farm Insurance and JCPenney, sponsor the competition. JCPenney is the client and sponsor for this year’s competition.

Jennifer Ireland, a senior majoring in advertising and the media director of the team, said the team competes with other schools in both regional and national competitions. Last year, the UA ad team finished third in the regional competition and in 2009 they finished second in the nation.

The team will travel to Baton Rouge, La., in April to compete in the district regional competition. If they win there, they will advance to San Diego, Calif., in June for the national competition.

The University’s National Student Advertising Competition adviser Teri Henley said around 10 teams will compete in Baton Rouge. If the University’s ad team wins and advances to the national competition, they will be competing against about 16 other teams from different districts.

Henley has worked with college ad teams for more than 20 years. Alabama is her third school.

“It feels great to work with such a talented team of the industry’s future leaders, and I’m very excited to see what we accomplish this year,” said Ben Gordon, a senior majoring in art and a member of the creative team.

The team is divided into four distinct areas: media, creative, research and public relations. The students who make up the team are usually those with majors in business, fashion, advertising and public relations.

“It is the closest thing you can get to real-world experience in school,” Ireland said. “This is my second year on the team, and I really would encourage it for anyone in this field who wants to push themselves to be a part of a great organization.”

Henley said the current ad team members interviewed in fall 2010 and were selected in October. They have been meeting regularly ever since and did additional research over the winter break for the upcoming competition.

“They really hit the ground running,” Henley said.

The ad team held their second fundraiser event Tuesday at 9 p.m. at The Bear Trap to fund their trip to Baton Rouge. Henley said the first event occurred Jan. 18 at The Bear Trap and was a success.

“I think this team has some of the hardest working, dedicated and creative people on campus,” said Jack Batchelor, a senior majoring in graphic design and the creative director for the team.  “So far, we have put in a lot of hard work and time, but it is fun at the same time.”

Henley said the group is comprised of passionate students.

“They work so hard that whether they win or don’t place at all — it is an amazing learning experience,” he said.