SGA pie-throwing fundraiser raises money to end homelessness

The Student Government Association held a pie-in-the-face fundraiser to support homeless families. From 12-3 p.m. on Thursday, a few SGA members and volunteers stood outside the Ferguson Student Center fountain and charged three dollars to for a pie to throw. 

Money was raised through cash, Venmo and other donations, and it went to support the Tuscaloosa One Place and One Less Homeless organizations. The money raised for these organizations will provide underprivileged children with coats for winter. 

This two-week campaign has held steady with Thursday’s event raising about three hundred dollars in pies alone. At the event was Lance McCaskey, a senior majoring in economics. As attorney general of SGA, McCaskey was excited to support the cause.

“Homelessness is a large issue in Tuscaloosa,” McCaskey said. “This was a fun way for students to give back to the community.”

Another representative from SGA present was Riley Katelancaster, a sophomore studying in public relations. Katelancaster is the director of philanthropy for SGA, and she was thrilled that SGA partnered with One Less Homeless. 

“This is great.”, Katelancaster said. “It shows how involved SGA is with the University and the community.”

Students jumped at the chance to pie a face, as one volunteer estimated about one hundred pies were thrown. Many were seen taking pictures of the volunteers covered in whipped cream and laughing at the fun nature of the event.