Fowler: ‘Leave nothing on the field’

Tuesday night’s Student Government Association meeting served as a showcase and “pep rally” for the SGA’s spring semester initiatives, according to President James Fowler.

“Tonight was an opportunity for us to say this is what we’re doing in the next month and [present] some long term goals,” Fowler said.

“This is the first year we have conducted monthly SGA-wide meetings,” Zack Coppens, SGA director of administration, said in a statement before the meeting. “They are designed to increase SGA engagement by keeping all members informed of projects and events. At this meeting, the executive, legislative and judicial branches will get a chance to discuss their goals and expectations for the upcoming semester.

“We look forward to starting this semester off strong,” Coppens said.

The meeting began with student affairs discussing three major projects that will be worked on during the semester. Vice President for Student Affairs Stephen Swinson mentioned the Iron Cup, which features the Alabama hockey team versus Auburn. The game will take place on Jan. 14 in Birmingham, and free transportation and admission will be provided for students. Take a Walk on the Bright Side and financial needs for students are two other initiatives headlined by the student affairs committee.

Academic Affairs took the floor to present information on topics including Spring II courses, Capstone Creed Week and scholarships for Kaplan courses. The committee will begin promoting the participation of Spring II classes as early as next week.

The External Affairs Committee plans to focus on student employment reform, engaging the campus in the local Sunday alcohol sales vote, Alabama legislative and Higher Education Day are upcoming events that were brought forth by the Vice President for External Affairs Grant Cochran, who spoke on successes from last semester including the voter registration drive, women’s political initiative and the LifeSouth blood drive before moving on to goals for this spring.

External Affairs has plans for another voter registration drive in Tuscaloosa in time for the Feb. 22 vote on Sunday alcohol sales. For the Alabama Legislative session held this spring, Cochran stated the SGA will call on students to voice their concerns for the state of Alabama. Higher Education Day, when students travel to Montgomery to advocate state funding for the University, will be held April 7.

Deputy Chief of Staff Peyton Falkenburg spoke on the RAGE campaign that is set to take place April 1 at the new Tuscaloosa Amphitheater. The SGA is still working on booking an artist or group for the concert.

“This year we’re combining everything into one big event,” Falkenburg said. “We’re hoping that every dollar on ticket sales will go toward scholarships.”

Applications for next year’s judicial board will be available in February. Judicial on the Quad will be implemented this spring, giving students the opportunity to ask questions about anything relating to the judicial board. Football ticket appeals will be heard this Friday and next Friday from 10-1 p.m.

“One big item that will be coming up in the coming weeks is the constitution,” President James Fowler said. “It’s something that impacts everyone in the room, but further than that it’s something that impacts the 30,000 students on campus. It’s one of the more exciting things that we have coming and it will certainly enhance our student government to make it even more accountable, transparent and inclusive.”

The constitution will be sent to senate on Thursday and voted on next week. If passed by the senate, the entire student body will vote on the constitution Feb. 1.

Fowler ended the meeting with a speech illustrating how SGA members have 10 weeks left and how each member should “leave nothing on the field.”