University’s rank drops in national public education list

The University of Alabama ranked 82nd on Kiplinger Magazine’s “Best Values in Public Education” list, ahead of 96th-ranked Auburn University but behind six other Southeastern Conference schools.

In the report, Kiplinger stated that they base their rankings on “a combination of academics and affordability.” Their measures of academic quality included admission rates, student-faculty ratios, retention rates and four- and six-year graduation rates, among other factors.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill finished atop the standings with the University of Florida taking second on the list. The University of Virginia and The College of William and Mary finished third and fourth, respectively. The University of Maryland rounded out the top five.

Alabama was shown with annual cumulative tuition cost of about $17,000 and a total out-of-state tuition cost of about $30,000. Auburn was listed with an annual in-state annual total tuition cost of about $17,000 and a cumulative out-of-state tuition listed at about $33,000.   The University was reported to offer a higher annual average of student aid grants as well, offering about $6,000 per need-based and non-need-based student applicant. Auburn reportedly offers close to $5,000 per applicant.

However, the average Auburn student is shown to graduate with less average debt than a UA graduate, despite higher costs and less substantial student aid grants. According to the Kiplinger report, Alabama students graduate with an average debt of nearly $24,000, compared to Auburn’s average debt at graduation of about $22,000.

Students at top-ranked UNC-Chapel Hill were shown to pay $17,000 in total in-state tuition and about $36,000 in cumulative out-of-state tuition. The Tar Heels offered close to a $10,000 average per need-based student applicant and about $5,000 per non-need-based grant applicant.

UNC-Chapel Hill also said that an average 74 percent of students graduate in four years, compared to Alabama’s 38 percent average and Auburn’s 37 percent average.

Outside of Florida, Alabama and Auburn, five other SEC Schools made the list. Georgia ranked eighth, South Carolina ranked 42nd, Arkansas claimed 57th, Tennessee was 74th and Louisiana State was 76th.

Ford Fitts, a senior majoring in history, said he was glad the University finished ahead of Auburn but said he believes there is room for improvement.

“It’s good to be 14 spots clear of Auburn for pride and morale in the wake of recent football related events,” Fitts said. “But joking aside, we definitely can improve. I think Dr. Witt has us on the right path, but it’s not an overnight thing. It’s a process.”

Charles Joseph, a senior majoring in political science, said he wasn’t surprised by Kiplinger’s assessment, but said Alabama offers many things that can’t be judged quantitatively.

“It’s not shocking we finished that low; there are a lot of great public institutions in this country,” Joseph said. “But I’m comfortable with my experience here and wouldn’t trade it for anything. The University of Alabama offers a unique and special experience that can’t be quantified.”

Alabama’s drop comes on the heels of this fall’s major tuition increase.

Deborah Lane, assistant vice president for University Relations, said the University is still proud to be recognized among the best public schools in the nation.

“We are pleased that Kiplinger recognizes The University of Alabama as one of the nation’s best values,” Lane said. “And we are even more pleased that a record number of students and their parents continue to invest in the quality and value of an education from The University of Alabama.”

Lane said she believes the University is continuing to grow and improve.

“A decline in our rankings on this survey was not unexpected, since the University was forced to increase tuition in response to a  $58 million reduction in our state appropriations,” Lane said.

“However, tuition increases combined with our record-setting growth in enrollment have provided The University of Alabama with the financial resources it needs to continue to attract the nation’s best and brightest students, faculty and staff at a time when most universities across the nation are experiencing layoffs, cutbacks and enrollment caps.”