University shuts down operations due to winter storm

The University has suspended normal business operations due to a winter storm expected to affect West Alabama over the next 48 hours, according to a UA Emergency e-mail sent out to all students.

“The Emergency Preparedness Group will re-evaluate weather conditions at 10 a.m. Monday, to determine whether weather and travel conditions have improved enough to resume normal business activities, events and activities at that time,” the e-mail stated. “University employees should follow their department’s business continuity plans until normal operations are resumed, and should monitor the UA home page and local media outlets for updates on when they should return to work.”

Residence halls will remain open. University spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said it was too early to say whether the winter storm would affect the start of spring semester classes on Wednesday.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for West Alabama that will remain in effect until 6 p.m. Monday. Between three and six inches of snowfall are expected in the Tuscaloosa area, along with rain, sleet and ice throughout Sunday night and Monday. Between one tenth and a quarter-inch of ice are expected, making many roads and bridges impassable. Gov. Bob Riley has issued a state of emergency throughout the state of Alabama.

Get up-to-the-minute coverage of road closings and University developments relating to the storm by following The Crimson White on Twitter at @TheCrimsonWhite. Look for more storm coverage online and in Wednesday’s edition of The Crimson White.