FYC confirmed, constitutional convention resolution passes in first FYC meeting

The Senate met for a special session Tuesday evening for the purpose of confirming the 65 nominees for First Year Council. 

The meeting began with FYC nominees crowding around the outskirts of the Ferguson Student Center’s forum room. Roughly five minutes after convening, Senate unanimously confirmed the nominees and adjourned.

Following the Senate meeting, FYC held its first session of the year where they were introduced to SGA President Lillian Roth, the Executive Council and former members of the FYC. After an introduction by President Roth, Speaker of the Senate Lance McCaskey discussed Robert’s Rules of Order with the newly elected councilors. After telling them about the procedure for passing legislation, McCaskey told the councilors about the 9/13 majority that is required for passing the constitutional convention resolution. 

After asking Roth a variety of questions in regards to the potential convention, voting procedure began. After a brief roll call vote, it was determined that a 9/13 majority had voted yes and therefore the resolution was passed.

The resolution faces one final obstacle: the student body. During the meeting, Roth said the resolution will be on the SGA’s website for two weeks before the homecoming elections. Then, the resolution must again receive a 9/13 majority of the vote in order to allow the constitutional convention to occur.

Senate will meet again this Thursday at its regular time.