FYC elects committee chairs and discusses ideas at third meeting of the year

The First Year Council held its first meeting with Jay Little presiding as president. The meeting was the group’s third of the year, and most of the time consisted of committee meetings.

The meeting began with Braden Morel, the SGA’s vice president for external affairs, discussing his experience in FYC and the “Roll the Vote campaign.” He gave voter registration information and presented those who had not registered to vote with the opportunity to do so. 

After hearing a few brief announcements from FYC director Cassidy Reilly, SGA President Lillian Roth rose to make a few announcements of her own, the first of which being her reinstating of “Lattes with Lil.” Roth said during the SGA campaigns earlier this year, she would often host “Lattes with Lil,” allowing students to come and discuss ideas or concerns with her. Now that she has been elected president, Roth said she plans to start doing the event again and will begin next week by hosting the event with the FYC. Roth said this will give councilors the opportunity to discuss ideas and talk about their plans for the future.

In addition, Roth briefly discussed the constitutional convention resolution’s failure on the recent homecoming ballot. Roth said her administration will work to change the SGA Constitution as best they can moving forward. 

She urged FYC members to be involved in the process.

Afterwards, FYC broke in to committees to elect chairs and discuss any ideas the councilors may have.

Director Reilly then made a few more announcements, partially dealing with a leadership conference she and other councilors attended, a reminder to include her in email correspondence related to SGA, and a reminder that resolutions- a sizable portion of FYC’s legislation –– basically function as suggestions. 

One important announcement she made was that FYC would begin legislating during their next session.

FYC then discussed the differences between an act and a resolution before closing. 

Order of Events:

1.) Braden Morell discussed voter registration and the “Roll the Vote” campaign.

2.) FYC Director Reilly made a few announcements, mostly dealing with rules for proxies and the councilors’ office hours.

3.) SGA President Roth discussed her reinstatement of “Lattes with Lil,” and her plans moving forward in wake of the vote on her constitutional convention resolution.

4.) FYC broke in to committees and discussed ideas.

5.) Closing thoughts and announcements from Director Reilly.