Students study in Middle Earth

Students this summer will have an opportunity to study in the country where the Lord of the Rings was filmed. The UA in New Zealand program kicks off in June.

Tim Croft, New Zealand native and director of the UA in New Zealand program, led his first group of nine students to New Zealand during the summer of 2010.

Colby Leopard, a sophomore majoring in public relations, chose to be part of the first group to travel to New Zealand with the program last summer.

“The atmosphere and sites we got to see in New Zealand were nothing like I had ever experienced before,” Leopard said.

Croft said he’s always wanted to share New Zealand with his students.

“This is a good way for students to see what New Zealand is like, while also exploring the educational opportunities New Zealand has and earn UA credit at the same time,” he said. “This goes for all the study abroad programs: being [able] to stop, think and consider a country while touring it for the first time is a great educational and life experience.” Leopard said balancing the work-load and touring the country was difficult, but the friendships he made while on the trip were unlike any other.

“It’s really awesome to be able to have people there with you to experience something so amazing,” he added.

Croft will be leading students and other teachers on another study abroad excursion to New Zealand in June, and it will last around three weeks, Croft said.

The UA in New Zealand Program offers an array of courses in the English, creative writing, journalism, world literature, Blount and the Honors programs. Students will receive regular class credits, Croft said, and students outside of the mentioned programs can often earn elective credits as well.

Ashley McWaters, a professor at the University, will be teaching the Lord of the Rings: Books to Films class during her time in New Zealand.

As the course description states, students will explore the balance between artistic and practical concerns that all authors must maintain. Students will also gather an understanding of the considerations that go into making such a lengthy trilogy into film by re-examining the books, reviewing the films and touring New Zealand.

Croft will be teaching a New Zealand art, literature, film and theater class. Students will explore literature from New Zealand, including “pre-European Maori myth and contemporary authors” and examine “New Zealand-ness” in film and television. Students will also have the opportunity to attend performances of contemporary plays if they are available, Croft said.

Recruiting for the program is open and will continue in the spring semester, he said.