Miss UA holds info session

Thirty-seven years ago, the Miss University of Alabama pageant was created. This year, approximately 25 young women will compete for the title.

Representatives will hold a meeting Tuesday in Alumni Hall for any interested female students. Official application packets will be passed out at the meeting, or they can be picked up at the Alumni Hall front desk beginning Wednesday, program director Carol Wright said.

In 1974, Walt James, a University student, and Kathy Randall, the current director of the University’s Computer-Based Honors Program, collaborated to found the Miss University of Alabama pageant, Wright said. The pageant is a part of the Miss Alabama and Miss America system and is sponsored by the Miss America National Alumni Association.

“In the last few years, the Miss University of Alabama pageant has become the most competitive pageant in the Miss Alabama organization,” Wright said. “Two years ago, we even won the Best Large University Program award, an honor given by national officials to one school in each state.”

To compete for the Miss UA title, contestants must be full time students at the Tuscaloosa campus, 18-24 years old, have a minimum 2.5 GPA and cannot be married or divorced, according to information provided by Miss UA representatives.

Contestants must compete in five areas of judging during the pageant: talent (which counts for the most points), private interview, eveningwear, fitness and swimwear and an onstage question, according to the Miss America website, which Wright said holds the same standards as the Miss UA pageant.

“Performing my dance for the talent portion of the competition is my favorite part,” Rachel Rivers, a freshman majoring in dance and elementary education, said. “For me, it is the least stressful and nerve-wracking part of the pageant. I just really enjoy dancing and sharing my talent with the judges and audience.”

Five judges help to select Miss UA, three from out of state and two from in state, Wright said. Though judges have been selected for the 2011 pageant, their names cannot be revealed. Bari Watson, 1999’s Miss UA, will be the Master of Ceremonies.

The official application is due Dec. 1, and a meeting will be held in January to discuss pertinent pageant information. Rehearsals are held at the Student Recreation Center five days prior to the competition, which is scheduled to be held at the Bama Theatre on Feb. 12.

Miss UA not only receives a crown but also a full tuition scholarship for the year that she serves, as well as two book scholarships, according to a UA news release. As Miss UA, she also holds many responsibilities to appear at various events, such as traveling with head football coach Nick Saban during Crimson Caravan events during the spring, attending alumni functions and speaking at the annual ring ceremony for seniors.

“Being Miss University of Alabama is a fun year that a young lady will never forget,” Wright said. “Not only will other people remember her, but it is a memory that she will always treasure. I encourage every girl, who has any interest, to participate. It is such a positive experience, girls should just go for it.”