SGA resolutions honor students, alumni

The SGA discussed Financial Affairs Committee allocations Thursday night, voting to approve all allocations. The FAC added a new “eligible” column on the allocations spreadsheet.

Mark-David Kennedy, treasurer of the FAC, said the entrance of the new column should make it easier for the FAC and Senate when observing the allocations worksheet. Organizations are only eligible for a certain amount each time they ask for funding from the SGA, even if they request more. The eligibility column answers the question that may arise as to why a certain organization did not receive their requested amount.

The Senate had seven new resolutions. Senator Jonathan Thompson authored and presented two resolutions regarding Dr. Robert Bentley and the College of Communication and Information Sciences Hall of Fame.

“Dr. Bentley’s resolution was needed because we are honoring a great University of Alabama graduate and our next governor so it was very important to do that,” Thompson said.

Bentley is the 53rd governor of Alabama and holds an undergraduate and graduate degree from the University. There have been 10 governors from the Capstone, including the last three.

Additionally, three individuals were inducted into the CIS Hall of Fame.

“We’re honoring three great individuals, two of which graduated from the University of Alabama,” Thompson said. “We’re honoring their journalism output to the state of Alabama. James Mills was not a UA graduate, but he impacted the state of Alabama during the civil rights movement and everywhere else as well.”

A resolution recognizing student Robin Sullivan was presented by Senator Carmen Groom.

“The resolution was congratulation for Sullivan’s being nominated volunteer firefighter of the year,” Groom said. “I think it’s very important because she has done a lot with balancing school and all of her work at the fire department.”

Senator Matt Harris authored a resolution urging students to participate in the Beat Auburn Beat Hunger week. Students can give $10 donations by texting “Bama” to 27722, and can also donate a dollar to Beat Auburn Beat Hunger when they are checking out of the Ferguson dining room.

“Beat Auburn Beat Hunger is going on now until the 22nd of November,” Harris said. “It’s a great way to help people out. The last three years in a row we’ve beaten Auburn. It’s a really good event to do leading up to the Iron Bowl.”

Jeff Elrod authored another resolution regarding this year’s midterm elections.

“The resolution I wrote was one that congratulated all of the Tuscaloosa Countians who were elected to the Alabama state legislature,” Elrod said. “We had three from Tuscaloosa – John Merrill, Bill Poole and Chris England – all elected to the Alabama State House. Gerald Allen ran for the State Senate and he won from District 21.”

Bill Poole took the seat that was held by Bentley before he ran for governor. Elrod thinks it is important for the university to recognize Poole’s victory because UA is in the district he represents.

The other resolutions for the night consisted of those honoring Autherine Lucy, Vivian Malone Jones and James Hood, and the encouragement of placing mirrors and more signage in campus parking decks.

Senators will vote on the presented resolutions at the next senate meeting.