Your guide to the SGA Executive positions on the March 7 ballot

The 2017-2018 Student Government Association elections are rapidly approaching. On March 7, students will have the opportunity to vote for candidates for a variety of offices. From the SGA president to the various vice president positions within the executive branch, here are the job descriptions for some of the offices candidates are seeking according to the SGA constitution. 

SGA President

The president’s job is to lead the SGA “in achieving the objectives of the SGA Constitution while enhancing The University of Alabama experience for all students,” according to the SGA website. The president works to do this by putting forth initiatives and campaigns to try and improve campus, signing legislation that aims to improve the lives of students and by surrounding himself or herself with individuals who are devoted to serving students. Additionally, the president chairs the executive council.

Executive Vice President

The EVP assists in the execution of programs and projects of the president and other SGA vice presidents. Additionally, the EVP appoints the director of the First Year Council and acts as an advisor to the Council. The EVP is the first in the line of presidential succession, and is additionally responsible for proposing and executing “policies of the SGA that foster healthy relations between students and faculty,” according to the SGA Constitution. 

Executive Secretary 

The executive secretary maintains records of all executive business. The secretary is also responsible for the upkeep of records pertaining to Executive Council meetings and acts as the SGA historian by keeping records of all SGA events.

Vice President for Academic Affairs

The VPAA is responsible for orchestrating and executing SGA policies that pertain to exam schedules, registration, instructional support and other academic programs. The VPAA has the power to create executive branch committees to hear matters dealing with academic affairs at the University.

Vice President for External Affairs

The VPEA executes SGA policies that pertain to student issues and concerns that pertain to the area around them, such as in Tuscaloosa County and the Alabama Legislature. The VPEF job deals significantly with handling initiatives and projects that involve students and individuals and groups outside the University. 

Vice President for Student Affairs

This job requires handling SGA policies that relate to social issues, recreational events, Homecoming events, athletic events and others. 

Vice President for Financial Affairs

The VPFA acts as a financial manager for the SGA. This job requires one to oversee and execute SGA policies that pertain to tuition, financial aid, the SGA budget, SGA expenses and other items. A significant portion of the VPFA’s job is to select a Treasurer, who must be confirmed by the executive council and a majority Senate vote. Additionally, the VPFA chairs the Financial Affairs Committee which is responsible for overseeing allocations to student organizations that make funding requests. These allocations must be approved by the Senate.