SAAC event invites kids, athletes

The Student Athlete Advisory Committee will be sponsoring their eighth annual Halloween Extravaganza tomorrow at the UA Indoor Football Facility from 6:30-8:30 pm.

“Every year SAAC hosts the Halloween Extravaganza, inviting faculty, staff and people of the Tuscaloosa community to come out,” Life Skills and Community Outreach intern Emily Screws said. “It’s a really good opportunity for the student athletes to give back to the community and thank them for all of their support of all Alabama athletics.”

Children, typically age 13 and younger, are invited to wear costumes and participate in different activities put on by athletes from the University’s different sports teams.

“The athletic teams, we all set up games,” said Calli Johnson, SAAC vice president who is on the volleyball team. “Each of the teams does a game or activity and at the end the kids get a bag of candy.

“There will be games and activities, such as mini basketball, dodge ball, face painting, accuracy throwing, bowling and an obstacle course,” Johnson said.

Johnson said there will also be different activities for each sport. One year, the volleyball team monitored an inflatable activity provided for the participants. In past years, the track team has come up with events such as relay races.

The Halloween Extravaganza gives athletes a chance to do something for employees of the University and their children.

“It’s a fun thing we can do to help the kids,” Johnson said. “A lot of it is for the staff here at the University who can bring their kids. It’s a fun and safe environment where they can enjoy Halloween, dress up and get some candy.”

Johnson said the event may have an effect on the city of Tuscaloosa as a whole.

“For us it’s another way we can make an impact on the community and make an impact on young kids, showing them there are good role models out there,” she said. “It’s a good way to show we really do care. I hope that all the kids coming have a good time and enjoy themselves, mingling with the athletes and to have a happy Halloween.”

For more information on the Halloween Extravaganza, Screws can be contacted at [email protected].

“It’s something the athletes and the kids look forward to each year,” she said. “The athletes see it as a way to show their appreciation and to have fun.”

The main goal of SAAC is to be a voice for Alabama’s student-athletes while they strive to achieve greatness in the classroom, playing fields and throughout the community, Screws said. The Halloween Extravaganza is one of many events SAAC conducts each year.