Rising Tide Scholarship encourages students to help students

Pete Pajor

Paying for college is daunting. Even with proper planning and careful spending, unexpected obstacles can make debt-free college seemingly impossible. Students can apply for scholarships, but these are limited in number and do not always take into account sudden changes in a student’s ability to pay for tuition.

To remedy this problem, the College of Arts and Sciences has proposed the new Rising Tide scholarship. The program will be funded through donations, which so far have consisted largely of student contributions. In January of this year, the College was $16,000 short of its $25,000 goal.

“The scholarship will go to any arts [ and sciences] student who finds that they are at a time in their life where they have immediate needs,” said Allison Verhine, director of College Support Boards.

Being short of the goal has prompted the college’s “Sweet 16 Campaign,” an attempt to fund the scholarship by the end of the year. Anyone who donates will receive a button showing that they have supported the scholarship. 

The campaign to fund the scholarship is increasing its presence on campus next week with its “Rising Tide push.” This push will include events, initiatives and donation stations around campus. At the stations, students can donate a dollar to a 6-foot tall plexiglass elephant, nicknamed “Baby Al”, which serves as both mascot and piggybank for the campaign. 

The Sweet 16 campaign said that if every student on campus put just $1 in Baby Al, then the scholarship could be funded overnight. Alternatively donations can be made by swiping a student ACTion card at one of the stations, which will be located outside of Lloyd Hall on Thursday, Sept. 8 or Woods Quad Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday of the same week. Donations can also be made by visiting Room 200 in Clark Hall or online at onlinegiving.ua.edu.

Starting next week, Students involved in Greek Organizations will be able to earn Greek Points for contributing to the scholarship.

Leaders behind the scholarship are passionate about giving students a chance to bounce back from unexpected obstacles. Being short of the goal has not discouraged those behind its attempted endowment. 

“It has been challenging at times, but heart-warming,” Verhine said.