Brock Turner to be released on good behavior

Brock Turner, the 22-year-old Stanford University student convicted of three felony sexual assault charges, will be released from jail on Friday for good behavior, after serving three months of his controversial six-month sentence.

From the beginning, it was expected that Turner would only have to serve three months. His records showed he would be released on Sept. 2 on the assumption that he would not misbehave.

During his three months in prison, Turner was in protective custody, since other inmates often target perpetrators of sexual assault.

Turner made national headlines in June when his victim, whom he assaulted behind a dumpster on Stanford’s campus, read a powerful letter to him in court detailing the impact of his assault. BuzzFeed then published her full statement, which was read by millions and even garnered a response from Vice President Joe Biden.

Though he originally faced 14 years for the charges brought against him, Turner only received six months because the judge felt a prison sentence would have a “severe impact” on the collegiate athlete.

The sentencing outraged many who said it was too lenient, that it promoted rape culture and that it was a blatant example of “white privilege.”

Compiled by Rebecca Rakowitz | Assistant News Editor