Ithaca college student killed in brawl

A large fight on the campus of Cornell University ended in the death of one Ithaca College student and the injury of another. 

Efforts to obtain information on the suspect are ongoing, though Cornell’s vice president for student and campus life said in a statement that there is no ongoing threat to campus.

Police said several physical altercations occurred outside of a student-organized event on Cornell’s campus. The event was attended by several hundred people, most of whom were college-aged and from Cornell or Ithaca, which are just a couple of miles away from each other.

Authorities were called to the front of Cornell’s school of chemical and biomolecular engineering just before 2 a.m. on Sunday. According to the police news release, authorities found two men who had been stabbed.

According to Ithaca.com, medical personnel attempted to treat both men. Physicians on scene said that personnel administered CPR as Ithaca Police Department officers held up a sheet to shield the victims from bystanders.

One of the students, identified by police as Anthony Nazaire, an IC sophomore business administration major, died after being transported to Cayuga Medical Center.

The other student, who has not yet been identified, was treated for multiple stab wounds and later released.

The event marks the first homicide in Ithaca, NY since Dec. 2011. Counseling services will be offered to IC students.

Compiled by Rebecca Rakowitz